Monday, April 21, 2008

Just A Few Thoughts

Isn't this purse absolutely adorable? It was a treasure of a find...brand new, or maybe I should say apparently never used...snatched it up for $2.00 at the thrift store. I love it! Isn't it pretty sitting here with the flowers? Of course, I've already shown you these flowers. Little romantic porch princess and I, Mrs. Romantic Porch, (or does that make me a Queen ?;0) really enjoy this purse! I've never told you how I love, loVE, LOVE vintage purses and shoes, shoes, shoes, shoes of any kind! Have I? Well I will sometime.
I've been tagged again by LeAnn at Pink Icing on the Cake to give my life's motto in 6 words. I'm thinking. Really I am. I'll let you know as soon as I have another one figured out. But you know I have mentioned one quote in various ways several times on this blog. "Don't cry because it's over. Laugh because it happened." That is a quote I read somewhere, but couldn't remember who to attribute it to. When I read it, it seemed like a good thought to put into "practice". Well guess what? It is a quote from "the great philosopher", Dr. Suess (1904-1991)! Don't you just love his wisdom on so many levels? Quite by accident, I found out from another person, that Dr. Suess has a list of top 10 quotes. This quote is #4.
Another one of Dr. Suess' quotes that I believe has a lot of truth is #10. "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!"

You know, life is hard. It seems everywhere you turn people are struggling with issues that bind them, drag them down, make living a fight to the finish line. I know this personally. I see this on the faces of people and read it on blogs. My heart breaks when I see sadness, sorrow and pain. It makes me even sadder (I'm using that word Dr. Suess) when I see a person allow life's challenges bring bitterness and cynicism to their spirit. I've heard people say that when you read blogs, it seems like everyone has the perfect house, the perfect husband and perfect children! I have to laugh because I understand what they are saying! I'm so conscious of the balance between real life and what is perceived by others. There are times when life ain't fun, life ain't fair, and life ain't easy. Excuse me for using ain't and horribly incorrect grammar here. Growing up, we were never allowed to use that word...it was considered, um...shall I say "bad manners". And I don't let my children use it, though it has made it to the dictionary along with new meanings for blackberry, RAM and gigabyte, etc. However God has promised us, he would be with us to the very end. I constantly challenge myself to live above the circumstances that may be affecting me at any present time. That is truly challenging to me. I don't want unfortunate circumstances, heartbreak, discouragement, situations that I don't like, to define who I am as a person.

When people see me, I don't want them to see those things. I want them to see a person who lives out this quote from Dr. Suess. "Unless someone like you/me cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."

I know I can't change everything to make life better for those I care about. But I can do one small thing at a time to bring cheer and happiness...better scoot!...gonna go hug and kiss my romantic porch family. And I've gotta get started on that list of personal challenges again!

Happy Day Sweet Friends,
Love, Rachel

P.S. I had a favorite romantic porch friend drop by Saturday, but fortunately she brought a cup of coffee, the lemonade wasn't ready! Now how could I have slipped up on that? Well...see what I mean...another challenge! It was so fun talking though, I didn't want her to leave. Please stop by anytime!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Rachel,
What, beautiful pictures, the purse really matches the tulips. What color dress and shoes are you going to wear with it?
Your quotes and writings are so good and thought provoking. They challenge me to strive harder.
Hugs to the little decorator helper. She does a good job.
Have a wonderful day on your beautiful porch. Love you, Donnie

Ronda said...

LOVE the purse...I always think of you when I see a pair of high-heel, adorable shoes! I'll say..."Now Rachel would love those!" (You know that my Mom loves shoes as well!) I appreciated what you had to say...I know that some people feel "that way" about blogs...I just think people would rather hear about the good things in your life rather than the bad...cause we all have our own personal problems...ya know? What WOULD we do without God to help us? Thanks for your "thought-provoking" post!

Donna Lynn said...

Dearest Rachel,
Thank you for the beautiful post, it really makes you think...one of the many reasons I love blogging so very much...we are able to share our deep and true feelings and put it out there for others to, "chew on" so to speak! I don't have a perfect life, but with God in the center it is pretty darn close!
(BTW, your purse is wonderful, what a find!)
Hope you have a lovely week, bless you, Donna Lynn

CIELO said...

Beautiful purse, Rachel, and it goes so perfect there in your sunny and lovely porch. I just can't wait to decorate my porch, but spring is so behind showing its wonderful self this year, it was still so cold yesterday (in the 30ths)... oh well, maybe soon. :)

You have a great day

Cielo

Kathi said...

What a great post Rachel. I love the Dr. Suess quote too. I too have sooooo many things to strive at doing better. I need a cattle prod for myself!!! From the looks of your lovely porch you are doing a great job being a wife and homemaker.

I love the orange purse. It's darling.

Thank you for your sweet comments to me on my blog. Happy Monday, Kathi

Alison Gibbs said...

Another great post Rachel.
You always have us thinking.
Love the gorgeous purse
Have a wonderful week
Alison

Anonymous said...

Oh, my! What words of wisdom you have shared! Thank you so much!

Have a great evening!

Rue said...

LOVE the purse :) Adore the quote! I have a specialy place in my heart for Dr. Seuss.

Hugs,
rue

Anonymous said...

I love your "Don't cry because it's over. Laugh because it happened." quote. I'm trying to remember that!

The purse is adorable! The fire looks perfect for roasting marshmallows! Wouldn't that be fun!

I love your thought-provoking blog! Thanks for sharing!

Love, Esther

Anonymous said...

HI RACHEL, I LIKE YOUR THOUGHTS AND PICTURES.WELL DONE. KEITH

Farrah said...

I love Dr. Seuss! Great post, Rachel! And great purse!