Wednesday, April 9, 2008

I'll Use What I Have

A few weeks ago, in the mail I received several saucers and a beautiful dessert plate from Karla. She posted a picture of 2 oatmeal cookies on one of them, and I went crazy when I saw it. She boxed them right up and sent them to me. Isn't that just the sweetest thing. Thank you so much Karla.
Now my tiny collection is just a bit larger. I love these dishes. Isn't that funny! My favorite colors are pink and green, but then don't you have favorite colors for different things? I do. Oh, but pink and green...well anyway!
Did you know that you can substitute milk mixed with vinegar or lemon juice for buttermilk in a recipe?My biscuit recipe calls for buttermilk. But I don't buy it very often. When I need it for a recipe, I make the substitution. A few nights ago for supper I made biscuits but I was out of milk...ooops! What to do? Oh yes, just use what I have...
SO TODAY, drum roll please... I am debuting my new biscuit recipe. They were a smashing hit with my family, and I even liked them.
Here it is folks...
...Biscuits from A Romantic Porch
(that sounds Southern Cookbookish, I think)
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon soda
1/3 cup oil (I always use canola oil)
3/4 cup SOUR CREAM, yes, that's right sour cream
3/4 cup water
Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl. Stir together oil, sour cream and water in a separate bowl, then add to the dry ingredients. The dough should hold together well and be sticky, not course and crumbly. Spoon dough onto a floured surface and fold the dough a few times to mix the flour and take away the sticky texture. Don't "overfold" but do it just enough to be able to pinch off pieces of dough to shape into a biscuit.
Pour some canola oil into a saucer. Quickly flip each uncooked biscuit into the oil on both sides, then place it on a cookie sheet. This gives them a nice golden brown color, and just a slight crisp on the outside for baked through softness on the inside. Yum!
Bake in a preheated oven at 450 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
This recipe will make 8 prince size biscuits and 2 princess size biscuits.
This was my use what you have recipe...have any of you ever done that? Or you may make your biscuits like this everyday. Anyway, happy eating!
One of my sweet nieces loves this color. I took this picture for her. I think she would like a car in this color. It has purple flames painted on it too. You can barely see them behind the front tire.
Do you ever feel like life it like this....lime green...a little blurry...and flying by at break neck speed? I'm trying to use every minute wisely. Sometimes I think it's hard. Do you?

Have a wonderful day. Happy Wednesday!
Love, Rachel
P.S. Does anyone like buttermilk? ; )


8 comments:

Rue said...

I would have never thought to use sour cream! Great idea :) Thank you for the recipe.

My grandfather used to drink buttermilk, but I think it's nasty unless it's in a recipe. I'm not even sure he liked it. I think they thought it was good for you. Of course he used to drink bourbon in his milk before bed, so I can't say that I know if he really liked it or not LOL
I do feel that time goes by much to quickly.
Cool green car :)

hugs,
rue

Ronda said...

LOVE the pretty plate and the biscuits sound divine...I will have to try that recipe! Thanks for sharing it with us! (It was fun to hear from you!)I'll take the "cool" car, too!(smile)Hope that you are having a good day...

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

Hi Rachel,
Yep, I knew that trick (a girlfriend gave me a book years ago about that kind of stuff), pretty neat huh being able to do that.
I think I'm going to make your biscuits this weekend with Rue's chicken recipe!
That is lime green for sure, really stand out in a crowd!
Yes, time flies and I try to remember to make each moment count, it's hard though with being moms & having to be three places (at least) at the same time!
I do like buttermilk (in my ranch dressing!) and lots of it for the tang ;)
Happy day!
xoxo~Tracie

Farrah said...

I'm terrified of making substitutions. I have to be pretty comfortable with a recipe before doing that. LOL! I didn't grow up learning how to cook, and it doesn't come naturally to me. Praise the Lord, I think we manage fairly well considering those two things. It helps being a stay at home mom and having time to plan and cook.

I'm always extemely busy, so I try to focus on being thankful for the things I do accomplish rather than being sad at what I don't have time for. Life is so much more enjoyable that way. :-)

Farrah said...

PS That was so sweet of Karla to give you those!! She is a sweetie! I treasure her friendship. :-) And yours! :-)

Anonymous said...

HI RACHEL, NICE THOUGHTS AND PICTURES. YES LIFE DOES GO BY VERY FAST. KEITH

Unknown said...

How sweet of Karla! Yummm for the biscuits!!! Thanks for the tips!

Karla Cook @ Roads to Everywhere said...

Glad you're enjoying the little plates! Thanks for sharing your "new" recipe!

..::raising my hand timidly::.. I like buttermilk.