Thursday, April 10, 2008

Another Use For Apple Cider Vinegar

Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water.
Jack fell down, and broke his crown, and Jill came tumbling after.
But up Jack got, and home did trot,
as fast as he could caper.
When he got there, he plastered his head
with vinegar and brown paper.


Have any of you ever heard this version of the old nursery rhyme, "Jack and Jill"? I suppose it is the basis for a remedy that my mother used for muscle sprains. I have continued to use this remedy with my family.


I know, I know, go ahead and laugh out loud. I hear it now, echoing though cyber space right to the screen of my computer, but it works wonders for us, so why wouldn't I use it?


Here's how you do it: Tear or cut brown paper sack into pieces about the size of your hand. Soak the pieces in apple cider vinegar. After they are dripping wet, layer them around the sore muscle. Then cover the wet paper with a generous layer of table salt. Add another layer of paper, and cover it with salt again. Keep layering until all of the paper is used up. (now I use an ACE bandage soaked in vinegar) The layers will end up looking somewhat like a brown paper cast. Keep the paper, salt and vinegar compact over the sprain. In our household, the smell of vinegar isn't well tolerated, so I usually cover the "cast" with plastic wrap and a sock, AND I usually do this at night, so the "injured person" can rest while the remedy works its charm!


Helpful hint: It usually takes one day of pain after the injury for the injured individual to be willing to submit to this kind of treatment. ;>) However we've had great results treating sprained muscles this way. After a couple of all night treatments, we were on our way again as if nothing ever happened! The pain is gone!

One of our sons has sprained his ankle 3 times since New Year's Day. They are only allowed to miss 5 school days in any class. This doesn't allow for much of anything to happen such as flu, which he had, and of course the 3 sprains, etc. Please pray for him today as he hobbles through the crowded high school hallways, having been sufficiently "pickled" through the night. I will coat him with Aspercream, give him Advil, and send him along. My mother heart will be hobbling right there along with him. Hhmm, I wonder if a call to the school nurse would help? Probably not him, but maybe ME!

Disclaimer: This old remedy is not in any way meant to take the place of medical treatment. It is exactly that...an old remedy. Medical treatment is ALWAYS appropriate. For anyone out there who may see absolutely no value in this what so ever, please leave me in my happy ignorant bliss! It works for us, and so we use it...
Just curious though, what remedies have been passed down through your family that work for you? Have you ever heard of this?
Have a happy hobbling day, dear sweet friends!
Love, Rachel



13 comments:

CIELO said...

Good morning beautiful! Thanks for the remedy... I do believe in natural cures for common illnesses, due to its very nature of cure: simple, no side effects, no chemicals, inexpensive, plus the pleasure of being able to cure yourself! :)

Have a great day, Rachel!

Cielo

Karla Cook @ Roads to Everywhere said...

What a coincidence! I have heard of this!

The only thing... in my family "sprain" is actually pronounced (and spelled, in some cases!) "sprang"!!

You should know these things!

A Romantic Porch said...

OOPS! Maybe I misspelled it!

Unknown said...

Hello, I just found your blog and find it very nice! I haven't heard that version of Jack & Jill but it's nice to see it now.

Stop over sometime and have a cup of tea,

Kindredly, Lynne Laura

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

Good morning (again) Rachel!
Haven't heard of this one - but I'm willing to give it a try the next time I move too much furniture around and can hardly move. It probably smells better than the stuff I'm using now. I love these old remedies, reminds me of my great-grandma and I think a lot of them work (at least in my mind!).
Have a great day.
xoxo~Tracie

Karla Cook @ Roads to Everywhere said...

No, Rachel. You did spell it correctly... at least, according to the dictionary. Just one of your sisters... (not to name any names, but the one most closely related to me) often spells it "sprang". Cracks me up. I don't bother to correct her, because that's the way she says it, too. I love her sweet southwest Oklahoma accent, don't you?

I forgot to say that I hope D feels better soon! That is too bad about the school's sick day policy.

blessings said...

I've never heard of this but I'll bet my grams has. One time I had a plantars wart that I had surgically removed but it still persisted. Grams told me to put some vinegar on a cotton ball and place it over the area and secure with a bandaid. Change it morning and night. What do you know... it was gone in a week! Amazing! Blessings.. Polly

Glenda said...

Ok, I learned something new. I have never heard of this before. I heard other remedies for other things, but this is a first. Natural ways are far cheaper then over the counter.
I just love your blog it so cheerful.

Glenda

Debbie said...

Rachel, I've done this too. I'm a herbalist so we do many seemingly crazy things in our home. They work! Isn't it wonderful that our world has been created with what we need to care for ourselves?
Debbie

Rose of Sharon said...

That's amazing! Thank you for sharing this home rememdy! I love the cute bottles and the tags you put on them!

Hugs, Sharon

Anonymous said...

HI RACHEL, THANKS FOR KEEPING THE HOME REMEDIES ALIVE AND WELL.ENJOY THESE DAYS. KEITH

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

I've heard that version of Jack and Jill, but didn't know there truly was a remedy that could be done!

Katherine

Laurie - Decorating Fanatic said...

Hello Rachel! I am new to blog land but was enjoying your post about the home remedies. My mother inlaw raised 12 children on a ranch in Mexico. A few of her remedies that stick out are rubbing hot coffee grinds on the soles of a person with a fever. Supposedly it draws it right out. It's a bit messy, you sort of wrap the feet up with paper towels lined with the grounds and put on old socks with a towel underneath in case it leaks a bit. My husband swears by this and I have let him do this twice to our kids. Not sure if the motrin finally kicks in about the same time or not but it definitely doesn't do any harm! Also, my mother in-law would dissolve a solid egg, shell and all in vinegar for a few days, then drink the solution for the extra calcium boost! I shudder to think of the taste! I hope your son is doing better with his ankle and made it through school, I know how we mother's worry! ~ Laurie