Saturday, April 26, 2008

Any Ideas? Famine Update!

So what do you think this might be? While you are trying to decide, I'll give you an update on the famine my sons are participating in!
On Wednesday night the youth group was split between boys and girls. Both teams were supposed to build a cardboard house/village. The team that won...based on specific criteria...were allowed to bring 2 luxury items to church last night. The boys team won, so one of my sons took an extra T shirt and a sleeping bag. I don't know what the other one took.
Six-thirty sharp, last evening, these famished kids converged at the youth center to "support each other" as their stomachs growled in unison, and then they were required to "sleep" in their separate cardboard villages outside last night. Boys village...girls village! I think it would be so fun to be a mosquito buzzing around listening to their conversations. I could land right on their arm or face for that matter for a bird's eye...excuse me, a mosquito's eye view of all that is being done and said...but they'd better not slap at me! The youth pastor and parent leaders were participating too...as you see, we weren't parent leaders in this situation...hence the need for mosquito antics!
The teens all took this very seriously. There were several other youth groups doing this also. It will be interesting to see what life long lessons they learned from it. I know they have.
Well, I better be bbbbbuuuuuuuuuuzzzzzzzzzzzing around and figure out what yummy thing to fix for them to eat when they come charging through the door. Any ideas? Oh and what about that picture up above? It was a fun one to take!
Happy day!
Love, Rachel
P.S. Did I say yesterday that I'd feed them an elephant?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the lights are on a bridge crossing the Mississippi River.
My heart and thoughts go to the teens as they get more famished. 30 hours is a long time for growing, hungry boys, anyone in general.
Hope you can have a somewhat restful day and not have to be on top of your elephant!
Love you, Donnie

Unknown said...

Hmmm . . . those lights remind me of a bridge too. But, how about all the boys and girls participating in the 'famine' having a candlelight service prior to the event?

Yes, you said elephant! And I remember something about pancakes too. I suggest you cook anything that's not moving, spread it out on the table and get out of the way. You must be proud to have raised young men who are willing to participate in an event such as the famine. Looking forward to hearing about their adventure.

Hugs,
Liv

Anonymous said...

What a pretty picture! I think it may be a bridge.

I hope the teens are doing well. I'm proud of them!

Have a fun day!

Love, Esther

Ronda said...

I am thinking "a long bridge"....just unsure of where it might be! I think that the "30 hour famine" is such an incredible idea...I am more than positive that it will teach life lessons to so many young people! Nate was going to participate in it too, I believe! My suggestion would be "Mexican" but then I don't know what your guys would enjoy! They deserve something "yummy"!Have a wonderful weekend!(Thanks for your nice comments on my blog! LY!)

Anonymous said...

Possibly lights on top of the grand circus tent that houses your 'elephant'??

Phdogo

Angela said...

It looks like the bridge in Memphis that crosses over to West Memphis(Arkansas) :-).

Farrah said...

Clearly it's the middle of the night, and that hungry polar bear's belly was taken with a fit of hunger about like that hunger your boys get. He is out searching for some grub. He has a squinty eye, and the light is reflecting off the open one. Must be lots of little fireflies out!

Kathi said...

What brave kids. I think it's wonderful. Nothing like actually feeling similar feelings of others, to make a more sensitive person. It will be interesting to hear what the boys have to tell.

Thanks for sharing this. I think it's a bridge with Christmas lights ~ Pretty.

Kathi

Rue said...

It looks like a bridge or harbor lights :)

I would give them wahtever they wanted to eat and a lot of it because they're going to be starving!

Have a great night!
hugs,
rue :)

Glenda said...

Looks like a bridge with lights on it. Our Bay Bridge from Oakland to San Francisco looks like that at night.
As for feeding the kids, put out lots of fresh fruit. And maybe some waffles. It's like fasting. I had to do it for 24 hours when I was a kid. It was because of the church my mother was a member of. It makes you thankful that there will be something to eat.

Glenda

loree2000 said...

A bridge was my first thoughts too....

Anonymous said...

HI RACHEL, IT REMINDS ME OF A NIGHT VIEW OF ONE OF THE PLACES WE TOOK OUR BOYS TO SNOW SKI. I WOULD OFFER THE BOYS PANCAKES. WILL BE ANXIOUS TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED. KEITH

Anonymous said...

HI RACHEL, IT REMINDS ME OF A NIGHT VIEW OF ONE OF THE PLACES WE TOOK OUR BOYS TO SNOW SKI. I WOULD OFFER THE BOYS PANCAKES. WILL BE ANXIOUS TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED. KEITH

Rose of Sharon said...

What a cool activity your son gets to participate in. That is so wonderful for them to see what it would be like to be so hungry and homeless. Character building for sure. I think those are lights on a bridge?

:0) Sharon