Thursday, April 24, 2008

Beauty All Around

Sweet little flowers...where did you come from? I'm happy to see you! You are welcome here!
And you my blue friends! Oh or is that purple?I see you are all dressed up with your yellow polka dots. I love your colorful softness under my feet.
But as I look up I see the red bud in bloom next door.
And behind is the tulip tree in all its' splendor, dropping a pink carpet of petals like a ruffled skirt under the tree. Ah the beauty! I savor the sights and sounds of Spring, glorious Spring! My miraculous visitor!
Then there are those daily realities. With consistent determination, bit by bit, we can overcome the challenges we face.End of day, sun has set, and the first cheery coat of paint smiles back at me.
I walk around the end of the house where I see the warm glow of the light and feel the welcoming embrace of the back porch...reaching out for me to sit a spell and rest my weary soul, or is that body? ...isn't that romantic? For those of you who have asked, yes, this sign does say Cotton Candy. It is a very special sign. I will tell you about it sometime.

Our back porch, a place of peace, a place of repose, where family and friends can gather to share memories and dreams! Ah, isn't that ROMANTIC?
Some have asked if the porch floor is painted? Yes it is. I think we took pictures of the process that I can show you later. It is SUPER easy and fast...if you let go of just a few perfectionist tendencies...(um Rachel, I'm speaking to you!).
And so that's it for today. I hope YOUR day is a happy one. For those who've called thank you for the encouragement that has kept me going. Family members, friends and new blogging friends, who have left such supportive and uplifting comments I appreciate them so much. As far as courage and creativity and all that is concerned, yesterday I was thinking...anyone can do a project like this. I call it desperation and determination and taking little snippets of spare time and keep coming back and back and back. Little by little, bit by bit, we can accomplish things much bigger that who we are! Thank you for your prayers! Yes, I mean it!
gotta scoot!
Love, Rachel









19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Rachel,
You, for sure, have tackled a Huge Giant! With your desperation, determination, courage and everything else, and your "one little stone" will get it accomplished. You have me prayers.
Have a productive and safe day. Love you, Donnie

Ronda said...

I am thinking that you should send all of your "before and after" pictures into a magazine...after all of the hard work and beautiful end results! It would encourage others! It inspires me to start a project! Love all of the beautiful flowers! You go, Girl!

Karla Cook @ Roads to Everywhere said...

I love how you are stripping off one section and then getting it all-the-way finished before stripping the next section. It seems like it would be just too overwhelming to strip off the whole thing at once. This way the progress is visible, huh?

Anonymous said...

Oh, my goodness! What a BEAUTIFUL thing you are doing! I love the new look on your house! It is absolutely beautiful!

Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Very well and eloquently said, Rachel. I do love that sign. Please tell us all about it sometime. It is the sort of sign that both makes you smile and sets the tranquil mood.
Brenda

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

Good morning Rachel,
It's looking so good. I love to see the progress you're making. That back porch is a real dream.

You're right, piece by piece - little bit by little bit, we'll all make it on our projects.

I've often wondered about the Cotton Candy sign myself, look forward to that in the future.

Happy Day!
xoxo~Tracie

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is looking great! I'm so proud of you for being able to just focus on little sections and go at it until it's beautiful! I just wish I were there to bring you a Dr. Pepper and brag in person!

Of course, I'd want to have my hand in it too! It is so rewarding to tackle a project like that and see such beautiful progress! I'm proud of you and happy for you!

Love, Esther

Anonymous said...

P.S. And do please be safe!!!

Britt- Sparkled Vintage Charm said...

wow!! wonderful pics!! the house looks great!! xo Britt :-)

Farrah said...

There's no way we could handle fixing up a house! Just painting a room is a major challenge for us. Wow! You two are amazing!

lauralavon said...

Enjoyed your thoughts and pictures--as always, Rachel!
I can share a little of what you must feel with this HUGE project! It's so nice that you can do a small piece at a time though!

Curt bought an old house a year ago in October, and we had to get it ready for his office to move in by Jan.! That was rough! We loved the finished project though! I guess I should post about that sometime and show before and after pics!

BTW, thanks again for linking to my post! You sent me some of the sweetest visitors!
Blessings, my friend!

Unknown said...

How perfectly lovely your blog is! Sweet, calm, romantic, I'm so glad I noticed your comment on Donna Lynn's blog!
I am positive that your attitude will stand you in good stead to complete all the projects that your heart desires. I will definitely come back and check up on you!
Hugs,
Liv

Alison Gibbs said...

What pretty Spring flowers you are showing us. How inviting your porch looks. The perfect spot for a sit and a chat
Alison

Anonymous said...

Your back porch is gorgeous~ it calls to me too~ Sharon@C'est Chouette

blessings said...

Your porch is soooo lovely! And I stole a moment yesterday to take a walk with my 4 year old son and pick violets! I just love little fists filled with flowers! Blessings... Polly

Joy Jones said...

Hi Rachel! I love your blog and your home is so special!! We live in an old 1924 bungalow so I know what you are going through. There is always a project to do with an old house, but they are soooo worth the effort. Your home is full of charm! xoxo ~ Joy J.

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Hi Rachel!
I Love your painted porch floor! It is great!
Penny

Anonymous said...

HI RACHEL, YOU ARE DOING A GREAT JOB. THANKS FOR ALLOWING US IN ON THIS IMPROVEMENT YOU ARE MAKING. I AM SURE IT TAKES UP TIME BUT IT SEEMS LOTS OF US ARE ENJOYING IT. I KNOW I AM. WISH I COULD BE THERE TO HELP. KEITH

Donna Lynn said...

Dear Sweet Kindred Spirit!!!
I loved this wonderful post, thank you so much, each time I come over for a visit you inspire me! You should write a book I will buy the very first copy, wish I had paid more attention in english class...sigh! A snippet of wisdom from my husband, How do you eat an elephant?...One bite at a time! I know that is what you are doing with your house siding, one board at a time! Love and hugs, Donna Lynn