Monday, March 18, 2013

Seriously! What Should I Do?

There are a lot of things that I would like to do that I don't do...for a variety of reasons.
 
There are  foods that I would like to eat that I don't eat very often.

Can you hear me say, "Fried potatoes!!?"
 
Oh and don't even get me started on Dr. Pepper...I LOVE IT!!
 
I rarely drink it.
 
Popcorn! I love it!  I eat it!  Bless its heart!
 
I have gotten rid of things I like.
 
Across the years,  I've tried to simplify in a balanced sort of way.
 
There have been times that life has screeched me to a stand still and I've been stymied in my tracks.
I've been hindered.. and.not made much progress.
Always, in my heart I am trying to take a step forward, toward improvement.
 
I tell my kiddos, "Clutter is unhealthy...physically, financially, emotionally and spiritually."
We deal with clutter around here. 
We are a sensitive and emotional crew.
Of course, we feel sorry for the trash.
It might get its feelings hurt because we threw it away.
At least that is what my son said when he was but a wee lad.
Now I had never thought of it that way.
But of course I think of it now.
 
We still throw trash away.
I just thought you should know that.

Each person has their own definition of what they consider clutter.
 
I'm not just talkin' 'bout "stuff" clutter, but also "LIFE" clutter,
 
 the things that hold us back and hinder us from truly being successful.
 
I keep considering this stack of magazines.
What if they get their feelings hurt because they hear me say they are taking up prime real estate?
 
I mean come on. 
 
Seriously!
 
They are my favorite ones that I have collected across several years.
 
They go back to 1996, I think, maybe farther.
 
Possibly.
 
I've made friends through them.
 
Well, the friends I have made don't know that we are friends.
 
Oh, but we are!
 
Yes, we really are.
 
I "know" the editors, stylists and contributors.
 
We are on a first name basis I tell ya.
 
It's sick.
 
Do I need these magazines?
 
NO.
 
I take two or three on road trips.
Road trips rarely happen.
 
I grab a couple as I head out the door to read while I sit at a stop light or wait in line at the bank.
 
Do they bring me joy and relaxation?
 
YES.
 
There's nothing like following the styling antics of Sunday Hendrickson or Fifi O'neal.
 
Could I use this space that they occupy for something else more productive?
 
YES.
 
The fashion designs that I do for my clients requires all kinds of bits and bobbles, fabric, lace, thread, bobbins and needles.
 
It has to be organized or it slows me down and I waste time and money.
 
This magazine shelf is starting to look like prime real estate.
 
Do I let go of something else that I love (magazines)?
 
The bits and bobbles are used to serve my family.
 
The magazines don't serve my family.
 
They fulfill a need (or is it a want) in me.
 
Hhhmmm?
 
I wonder if Princess Catherine would want the 12 or 15 that I have of Princess Diana.
 
I mean the royal grandbaby will certainly need remembrances of the late Princess grandmum.
 
Yes, what an excellent idea.
 
Thanks for talking me into it.
 
I think I will see if I could have those shipped to her.
 
Priority of course!
 
Y'all have these conversations with yourselves too, don't you?
 
You are constantly letting go too, aren't you?
 
Yes, I know you are!
 
What a trivial thing to consider when there are life changing events happening all around.
 
If this decision is as bad as it gets, then that is pretty good.
 
Yep, that's a pretty good deal for a girl like me.
 
Right?
 
I think the magazines may be out the door soon.
 
Sob and sigh.
Start the gloom and sadness soundtrack.
 Good bye Romantic Country, Victoria, Tea Time, Southern Lady, Mary Englebreit's Home Companion, Romantic Homes, Cottages and Bungalows, Cottage, Flea Market Style...
 
Yikes!
 
I've gotta stop it.
 
Will I regret this?
 
Seriously! What should I do?
 
Rachel

5 comments:

Judy said...

Oh my goodness, I chuckled at this post. When we moved here I moved my boxes of magazines which my husband rolled his eyes at :)
I feel your pain on this one, and I have no solution because I'm in the same boat (lol)

Karla Cook @ Roads to Everywhere said...

Ack! De-cluttering! My old nemesis!

When you mail those magazines off to Princess Kate, will you ask her if there's anything in my house that she needs also? I'm always interested in finding a good home for the wonderful things I've collected but no longer really NEED.

(I've actually been considering sending YOU my 12 or 14 issues of Mary Jane's Farm from 2009-2011, knowing how much you enjoy magazines. I don't save many magazines, but I have saved those. Not that I ever re-read them. But I might! Sometime.)

Donna Lynn said...

Rachel, I too just went through this agonizing decision to get rid of all my magazines, they went back to 1986! I just don't have room in my life anymore, they are some of my life's "dandruff"...if you know what I mean?! I just recently rented a bookcase at an antique mall in my area, so I can sell all the little stuff that I just no longer want or need! IT FEELS SOOOOO GOOD, SO FREE to be ridding myself of all of the nick knacks! I think I just want to live a simply life, one that doesn't have a bunch of unnecessary stuff cluttering it up...I also feel the pull to spend my money in a more Godly manner...missions, to help others, etc. Something lasting, something eternal! Bless your heart as you make your magazine decision, I truly understand!!!XO!!!

Donnie said...

I have a few years of some magazines that I will be happy to add to your stack. I also was thinking we/you could open a used magazine store. And the booth in your antique store is a good idea, and you could get some return on your cost of the magazines.
Have a wonderful day, daydreaming through you books.

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

I've been going through the same thing with my collection of Magazines (Victoria, Romantic Homes, Southern Lady, ETC!)

My solution - I found a younger lady who loves these mags and had never seen some of them, so she gets a stack every time I see her. Granted, I did take the time to browse thru them before I gave them away. I must confess - I did tear out a few of my favorite pages and kept them in a folder for future reference (or trash!! Ha!)

I love the way you write, those words could have come out of my mouth, but through your hand!

I'm a die hard and can only do a little at a time (How do you eat an elephant? -- One bite at a time!)

Those Victoria mags published in the late 80s and early 90s are gems. They will sell on Ebay! Don't throw them away - some young girly-girl somewhere will love them!

Katherine