Friday, March 15, 2013

I Have No Idea How This Will Come Across!

I've seen parents who have followed all the rules of successful parenting from A to Z.  They've read the books and applied the principles for greatness in children since their children were conceived.  And their children are wonderful.  The parents seem to bask in the glow of their success.
 
I have seen other parents do all of the above and they have suffered tremendous heartache with their children.  The parents shake their head in wonder at what they could have done differently.  They hold their head in shame.
 
I have seen parents who are neglectful of their children,  seemingly uncaring of what comes or goes and their children are a true delight and compliment to society in spite of their parents apparent neglect. 
 
I have never felt like I was one of those "great" parents.  I know I have always tried to do my best, but I never felt like I "measured up".
  It seemed like I was so busy learning all the lessons that God was teaching me about my faults, through the moment by moment life of rearing my children, that I really didn't feel like I had much of a "glow in which to bask".
 
I have prayed for my children constantly.  I have prayed for their past to be redeemed.  Their present to be filled with wisdom.  And their future to be fulfilled with God's plan.
 
As our older sons have matured it is neat to see their friends turn to them for guidance in life issues.
 
Everyone is busy.
 
Everywhere you turn people are hurting.
 
Around our home there is very little down time...including night time.
 
His flight was leaving early.  The alarm should buzz about 4:15 a.m. and then in fashion typical to our household a quick bustle to head out the door for the airport would rapidly ensue.
 
He awakened me a little before 1:00.
 
"Mom, I just want you to know that my friend is sleeping on the couch tonight", he said softly.  "I didn't want you to be startled if you went downstairs." 
 
"What's up?" I asked.  "He called me a few minutes ago and asked me if I could come get him.  He needed to leave the place he was staying.  It wasn't safe."  was his reply.
 
Our son never slept that night before his flight left.  I was up a lot too, making sure things were ok.
 
In the morning I found our son's Bible laying on the arm of the sofa. 
 
My heart sang.
 
His present is being filled with wisdom.
  His friend's present was being filled with wisdom through our son's advise. 
I saw the power of prayer.
 
I have no idea how this will come across to any of you. 
 
I know there are discouraged parents out there.  You have tried your best to "follow the plan for success" but you don't feel successful at all. 
I feel pain with you.
 
It is so easy to compare ourselves to the parents who have their plan together and the children are following it to the T.  I admit, I've been right there comparing myself too.  I think that is probably wrong.  God fulfills His purpose in each of us.  We don't fulfill it for HIM in our children.

I believe we have a responsibility to train our children the best we know.
 
I have no idea how this comes across.
 
I do know the power of prayer.
 
Rachel

4 comments:

Becca's Dirt said...

What a great post. Your son sounds like a fine young man and I know your are proud. All we can do is our best and the rest is up to them.

Donnie said...

WOW, May God continue to guide you and your family as each one seek their path. Our best is all God ask of us. Each one is responsible for their own actions.
Have a wonderful evening.

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

This came across just fine! Sounds like your son is a real winner! You should be very proud! Thanks for sharing this story with us. Prayers for the other young man, that he will find his way.

Katherine

cards4ubylouise and other treasures said...

Amen....you are a blessed woman! To have a son following after the things of God. I understood everything you were saying. God moves in mysterious ways and can do more in a few seconds then we can in a life time.