Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Thoughts and Prayers

Yesterday, China began "National" mourning for the victims of the earthquake in ChengDu, China. Reports that I have seen say there may be as many as 70,000 dead or missing and 5 million without homes. For me this is extremely difficult to comprehend. If you remember my posting about our son's Vex Robotics World Championship, where his team placed 38th...the #1 team was from ChengDu. We have wondered about the team. They stayed in the USA for several days after the competition, and toured New York City. We were told that they went home 2 days before the quake. Our son has searched online to see if he can find anything out about the team, but to no avail. We can't get them off our mind. I think in large part because we saw them be successful and innovative in competition after competition. It was immediately obvious that their robot would take top honors, and then all of the skills in the world are no match for something like this.
When we watched the finals and awards by web cast, that team was so happy and excited! Once they got to the stage, to pose for their picture, they remembered that they wanted their National Flag in the picture so someone rushed it down to them.
My heart is broken for people who are hurting, in pain, and suffering, and the Chinese a world away are no exception. We will probably never know what happened to this team or their families...or their trophy, for that matter! Funny how "things" like top honors and a trophy don't matter when you are faced with trauma and uncertainty.
In spite of the burdens I may bear from time to time, I am thankful that my family is together and safe in an old home with "A Romantic Porch"...well back porch that is!
Have a wonderful day!
Love, Rachel

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is all so very sad and I can't even comprehend the magnitude of this devastation either. I so pray the team is safe and their families.

I just posted yesterday about porches. xoxo

Ronda said...

My heart goes out to all of those poor people! You are right...it puts "everything" into perspective when something so tragic occurs! Let's go hug our families! LY!

Yablonsk said...

Rachel,
As one of the event organizers, I am touched by your genuine concern and have enquired with the Chinese event organizers regarding the well being of our friends. I hope to get back to you soon with good news of their condition.
Cheers,
Joel Carter
VP Marketing
Innovation First

SentimentsbyDenise said...

Thank you, Rachel, for this perspective. My heart has been heavy, too, for these people.

I looked all over for you Sunday at church but didn't see you. So, look for something in your mailbox (real one) in a day or so!

Have a fun day!
Denise

Diana Lyn said...

Good Morning Rachel, Arent we fortunate! I have blogged about this Tradegy also!My children are both Navy People and I keep wondering if they will be sent there to help! Thanks for the post! Blessings to you! Diana lyn

Susie Q said...

They have all been in my prayers as well. We were near Chengdu 3 1/2 years ago when we adopted Grace. Some of the loveliest people I have ever known.
It is a horrible tragedy and puts of worries into great perspective to be sure.

I have hugged my kids so much!

Love,
Sue

Debbie said...

Rachel, I think you have expressed what many of us are thinking and feeling for these people. We take so much for granted, it can all be gone in a instant. So many experience so much loss. I'm thankful for our many blessings.
Debbie

Karla Cook @ Roads to Everywhere said...

It does put things in perspective, doesn't it?

The Vintage Vagablonde said...

How ironic that you had contact with some of the people from that part of our world.....and the terrible earth quake! It makes us realize that our time here is so uncertain and things can change in an instant.
How thankful I am for what I have and that my family is safe.
Thanks for sharing this post and my prayers will be sent out to the families of this region.

CIELO said...

What a nice thing to do, Rachael... I unite to you in prayers and thoughts for China. May our Heavenly Father be with the suffering....

Hugs

Cielo

Tara said...

This tragedy is beyond comprehension, thanks for making us stop and think

Anonymous said...

How very thoughtful of you to post a reminder to us to pray for the people of China. You have always been thoughtful and your heart go out to anyone in need. I hope you will hear back soon with a good report on the robotic team from there.
Have a wonderful day. Love you, Donnie

THE HOME THAT LOVE BUILT said...

That is a very touching story Rachel. Thanks for sharing with us each day.

Xo
Brook

Anonymous said...

HI RACHEL, THIS POST SAYS SO MUCH ABOUT WHO YOU ARE AND WHAT YOU ARE ABOUT. I WAS VERY TOUCHED AS I READ YOUR THOUGHTS. YOU HAVE A WOUNDERFUL WAY WITH WORDS AND YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS ARE INSPIRED BY YOU. KEITH

Kathi said...

Rachel, My heart goes out to those people. I am so sad for them and all their suffering. I didn't realize that your son's team had played against students from the earthquake zone. I will keep all of them in my prayers.

Kathi

Farrah said...

It is sad. I just saw on the news that over 100,000 children in Ethiopia will die in a month from starvation if they don't get aid. It's due to a famine going on there and rising food prices. So much suffering...it doesn't have to be like that. It all goes back to sin. All we can do is reach out in love to the rest of the world.

Donna Lynn said...

My heart has been heavy with sadness for all the deaths in China too! I am so thankful to have my home, my life and the lives of my precious family and friends! Thanks for reminding us to hug and kiss them...
XXOO,
Donna Lynn

Linda said...

Hi Rachel,
It is such a sad situation I wish sometimes there was more that I could do.
Linda

Glenda said...

Rachel,
I don't know why I didn't leave a comment yesterday when I read this. After I did read it I went right over to Save the Children's web site and made a donations. I sponsor a child from them anyway and I know it will get to were it's going.
It touched my heart so much. We are lucky. Even though I live in the heart of Earthquake country. I can't imagine us having this devastation and we can.
Thank you

Ciao
Glenda

Jojo said...

We are reminded to count our blessings as we remember those who are suffering with our prayers. Thank you for such a sincere reminder to think of those who have lost enormously.