Friday, May 9, 2008

I Saw The 758!

You know I told you I would let you know when I had the first hummingbird sighting of the season? Well, look right there in the upper right hand corner of the picture by the hummingbird feeder. Do you see him? NO!? Well I don't either...he was too fast, and I didn't get a picture of him. But he flitted past. Maybe he was just letting me know they were back. Those of you who know our family know that we name our hummingbirds. Yes, we do! Really. It happened four years ago when we noticed that the hummingbirds ("honeybirts" as our then learning to talk toddler called them) would come one at a time on a schedule. We could time them! I'm not joking. We had a 6:21 am, 8:05 am, 12:29 pm, and a 4:21pm. We'd say, "Here comes the 421!" It was fun. Though they aren't at the same time from year to year, they come on a consistent schedule once they arrive. So yesterday morning I saw the 758. I'm sure he'll be back right on schedule. However, last year they must have spread the word about how yummy and sweet our "honeybirt syrup" was because we had 3 or 4 come at a time and have air raids against each other as they tried to drink. Maybe I should hang a sign that says, "Notice, yummy territory! No conflict tolerated!"
If you've read my blog since I started in January, you know that I love to stack these glass pedestal bowls. The white milk glass one is from my husband's grandmother and I cherish it so much. Many times I put a glass platter on it to serve cookies or other delicacies (not usually stuffed snail) on it.

I found a beautiful milk glass platter at a yard sale for $2.00, and though I thought that WAS indeed a bit pricey ;) I snatched it up and brought it home. I'm very happy with it. The 2 colors of white don't match, but hey, that's what I love about all my rescued treasures. They all live together in harmony. When I think about it, that is what makes life fun, with the love of family and friends. We may not all "match" in our opinions and what we need and desire, but we can compliment each other and live together in harmony.

All week I've been looking for a "Little Golden Book" called (I think) "There Was A Little Girl". It's based on the poem by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. Remember...there was a little girl, who had a little curl right in the middle of her forehead...when she was good etc. No pressure or anything, but um, I need it by 4:30 today. I've got a group drooling to hear what I have to say about it! (that's silly) Actually, I've got everything worked out, and everything I need is taken care of, but I'm curious, does anyone have that book, or am I the only one who has ever seen it?

Have a fabulous Friday. If it's not fabulous, make it that way anyway!

Love, Rachel



16 comments:

Alison Gibbs said...

mmmmm... I was looking at your photo thinking where is it!!!
Are you sure you saw the 758??
Ok I believe you.
Love your milk glass pieces
Alison

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi!

I'm coming over from Tara's blog! Yours is wonderful!

I love Little Golden Books and blogged about them recently. I know of that poem but I don't remember that specific book. Did you try used book forums and web stores?

I also love hummingbirds but I never see any where I live. I was ga-ga over how many I saw at my sisters home in Arizona! They are so fascinating!

Pat in NY

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

Hi Rachel,
Good for 758, bringing such joy! Our feeder starting leaking, so I need to look into that this weekend (thanks for the reminder!).

I love the picture with your old bicycle, it looks so welcoming propped up there.

I don't know The Golden Book you spoke of~ hmm, it sounds like your dilemma has worked its way out though, so that's great.

I too love your milk glass stacked upon each other and I am so glad to have known you since January, Rachel ;)

Well, I'm off to make it a fantastic Friday!
...And Have a Happy Mother's Day Weekend, sweet Rachel - I know it will be a beautiful one for such a caring person, sweet friend~
xo~Tracie

The Vintage Vagablonde said...

That was a great read today....The perfect way to start my busy day.
I like how you put the milk glass together and they do indeed compliment each other.
I have heard of the Poem but have not seen it as a little golden book story....sorry
Have a happy day ;)
P.S. I think I may purchase a humming bird feeder too.....oh and I may snatch your bike so be careful!

Ronda said...

Love the "backdrop" for your hummingbird feeder... the bike looks pretty up against the fence!Corey just told me that IN has "Ruby-throated" hummingbirds...he has a couple of feeders and is really teaching me alot about birds! Your milk glass dishes are lovely...I think the stacked look is so pretty!I also love Little Golden Books but don't remember having that particular one! Hope that you have a great Mother's Day weekend!

Angela said...

I love watching hummingbirds or bits *giggles*. they are very entertaining:-). I do believe they have a bit of "this is mine, get your own", going on when they get some goodies..
Have a wonderful day & relaxing weekend!

Donna Lynn said...

Hello Rachel,
Your hummingbird was see thru...but I believe he was there!
I love milk glass too, your stack is just lovely!
I don't know the book your talking about, but I know the poem well! Hope you find one quick!
Rachel, I pray you have a lovely relaxing Mothers Day, no working on the house! That's an order!!!!
Hugs and love,
Donna Lynn

Denise said...

Well, know we need to know your recipe for "honeybirt syrup!" Did you know they LOVE poplar trees, too? My neighbor (who LOVES birds) asked me if I'd ever noticed all the hummingbirds hanging out in the tops of my poplars. I looked and sure 'nough there they were. I would like them to come down a little lower so we could enjoy them more though so if you can share that recipe, our necks will be grateful!

By the way, do you still love hats? If I remember correctly, when I was in Esther's dorm, you had the most darling hats and you always looked so cute in them. I shared that on my Thursday Thirteen post this week when talking about hats (for the letter "H").

Have a lovely Mother's Day weekend!

Rue said...

Hi Rachel :)

I have a dish just like that. I love the bowl and the way you stacked them. Very cute :)

Have a beautiful Mother's Day!!
hugs,
rue

Unknown said...

Hi Rachel! I know that book! My mom used to always say it was me, the little girl with the little curl :)

I love hummingbirds too! I havent seen any yet this year but just adore them. They are so cute and tiny. Always fun to watch!

Hugs,
Amy

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel,
We once had a hummingbirt come sit at our breakfast table one summer vacation in the Colorado mountains!
We also have a Mother Goose booklet that was put out by the Metropolitan Life Insurance Co. that has the poem in it that you want. The booklet was mt mother-in-law's when she was a little girl. (The booklet is not dated)

LOL, lsh

Dena said...

I'm coming over from Tara's too and I was looking for that hummingbird :) Love your milk glass!

Dena

Anonymous said...

How exciting the hummingbirds are back! I've been anxiously awaiting their arrival, since my chance to enjoy them is through your eyes! How exciting!

I hope you'll have the best-ever Mother's Day!

Love, Esther

Anonymous said...

HI RACHEL, CONGRATS ON YOUR BIRDS BEING BACK. NICE PICTURES AND POST. KEITH

Marina Capano said...

Hi!

always your post are fun and so nice!

just cute your photo!

regards

Farrah said...

I didn't know hummingbirds stick so closely to a schedule! Very interesting!