Friday, May 23, 2008

All The Way Around...cheer with me...

...all the way around, all the way around the house. The first phase of the house project is finished. The "modern" siding is off and the original clap board is painted, as far up as we can reach with a 16' foot extension ladder. Trust me...there's a ton of trim to replace and repair, but at least everything is uncovered, cleaned and repainted, so we know what there is to work with now. The trim will come in time. It feels great to have the "ecosystem" exposed that lived between the shell of the modern siding and the original. This is the inside view of that same window. I'm ready to shake it up a bit, but the outside project is my priority right now.


I was extremely disappointed when I found the decorative trim missing around the bottom third of our living room window, but I cheered myself with the thought that at least, the whole thing wasn't ripped off and boarded over. So I just kept on scraping, painting and cleaning. I'm happy with the results, until we can do otherwise. The signature I showed you a few days ago was on the window trim on the far right hand side of the window. This photo is of our neighbor's window that is similar. You can see how the out line of the trim would match.

This is a close up of where the trim used to be. Isn't it interesting how you can see those kinds of things all these years later?


Ivory the pet ferret says, "Hello fans!" She's enjoyed all the activity around here the last month. April 23, 2008 through May 23, 2008, we worked on our "project" 17 days, and spent approximately 91 hours! Now bad, huh? Phase 2 will start soon. I'll keep you updated. I'm anxious to plant a few flowers next to the house...can't do that till we're finished.

Have a great day! It's rainy and cold here. I'm looking for another "project" (smile). However, I am also looking for volunteers to scrap the paint from around all of those little tiny glass window panes, if anyone runs out of some thing to do!

Love, Rachel

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rachel, isn't it wonderful to get projects underway? I keep telling myself, after these latest plumbing debacles, that at least I can see what's going on. Now that I have it down to tornup drywall and cement! Hardly any secrets once you get that far, huh?
Brenda

Anonymous said...

Rachel, your home is looking so nice and I know a lot of work has gone into getting it where you are. Hope to see it and you all before long.

Love you,

Rose of Sharon said...

Oh Rachel, it is so pretty! It looks absolutely wonderful. That is a bummer about the bottom trim missing, but can you replace it down the road? I love the colors you have chosen, they are so serene and beautitul. What a job you guys undertook, but it was so worth it!!!

Have a happy 3 day weekend!
Sharon

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

Hi Rachel,
It's really looking great. You've done so much hard work and it really shows.

That Ivory sure is cute peeking out there ;)
xo~Tracie

joyh82 said...

How exciting. Good luck with the
transformation. Can't wait to see more pictures too.

Donna Lynn said...

Hi Sweet Friend!
It is cold and rainy here too, where is our lovely weather hiding? Must of gone South...
I love how you guys just painted over the cool criss cross siding parts, it looks so awesome!

Hope your weekend is super duper! I will of course be checking in,
Lots of love to you!
XO, DL

Glenda said...

Rachel
You deserve a long vacation after your efforts. It's going to be one of the satisfying things you've done I am sure.

Ciao
Glenda

{oc cottage} said...

That looks soooooooo fantastic!
Your house was so lucky to get owners like you!


M ^..^

Unknown said...

Rachel, I cannot believe how fast you all are scraping and painting the house! It looks wonderful and I kind of like the diagonal boards under the window sill but I know you want it restored to its prior glory.
I've been tagged and I'm passing the favor on . . .
I have Tagged You! Please play along with the rest of us. You must list 7 little known facts about yourself, link back to me (http://countrylivs.blogspot.com/) as the tagger, then choose seven people to tag, list their names, link to their blogs, and notify them that they've been tagged.
You can go to my blog to see my answers too!
Thanks so much for sharing more photos of your home, I love it!
Hugs,
Liv
PS: Have a warm and sunny weekend!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Hi Rachel~
You are doing an amazing job on your home. It looks so great! I would come help scrape the windows if I lived near....
Hugs,
Penny

Debbie said...

Your house is looking great! It's so much work, but the effort is worth it. I love these old houses with all their personality.
Debbie

Anonymous said...

HI RACHEL, THE WORK YOU HAVE DONE ON YOUR HOUSE IS SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL. I AM SURE IVORY IS ENJOYING EVERY MINUTE OF IT. KEITH

THE HOME THAT LOVE BUILT said...

All your hard work is proving worthwhile Rachel. Your home is looking beautiful.
Have a lovely weekend!

XO
Brook

Rue said...

Hi Rachel :)

The house is looking beautiful!! I can't wait to see the finished product. I bet you can't either ;)

Have a beautiful night sweetie!
hugs,
rue

Anonymous said...

Oh, how very beautiful your house is! It looks so inviting and homey! You've put a ton of work into it and it shows!

Actually, I thought the boards beneath the widow looked really neat, and I was enjoying the decorative look - and then you said it wasn't supposed to be that way! I like it!

Rest well tonight!

Love, Esther

Alison Gibbs said...

Rachel you are doing a wonderful job on restoring your lovely home
Alison

Unknown said...

Your house is looking beautiful. Wow, it is going to look spectacular when all is said and done. Amazing.

Kathi said...

Hi Rachel, I'm sorry I have not visited lately. I love all that you are doing with your home. It's coming together so well.

Ivory is adorable. Hugs, Kathi PS be safe this weekend.