Monday, March 31, 2008

Tell 8 Things About Myself! You're kidding, right?

A few days ago, Kat at Mimi's Garden, tagged me to tell 8 things about myself. So the first thing I will tell you is that I love to figure out another way to do things, when it is necessary...like my kitchen sink light. I don't have one above the sink, so I use these. They are white Christmas lights. I just love them, and when they aren't on, it's just not as cheery! It is such a thrill to repurpose items.

My mind is always pondering another project or situation and the right things to do to take it to a new level...so I think a lot, and feel emotions deeply. Sometimes it's hard to sleep! Know what I mean?
My family is my most cherished possession. I try SUPER hard to never let my personal interests or passions bring them harm or neglect. It's a fine act to balance.
I have been creating since I was 4 (yes really, I told about it here). Since 2000 I have served in a volunteer position for a major Christmas production, (Easter last 2 years) as the lead Costume Designer and Director. At times there have been as many as 100 cast members on stage at one time, and the swirl of color, shimmer and patterns, was truly fascinating to me. I am passionate about fashion and textile design. As wedding season starts to roll around, I will begin to receive requests from brides and bridesmaids to alter or redesign their wedding and bridesmaids dresses. May I digress for a moment? One bridesmaid brought me two dresses that were identical. They were size 2...um don't really remember (they were on sale) and asked me if I could make them into a dress that would fit her. They didn't have her size on sale. I did! It was amazing! (sorry Diane, no I don't have a picture, but I'm learning! can you tell?) Redesign is so fun and rewarding. I believe every bride should feel like a princess in her dress. Currently, I have a wedding dress to make into a keepsake christening gown. (Diane I will take pictures) This project will be so absolutely awesome. Designing children's clothing is beyond wonderful.
For 10 years I had a decorative consulting business, and sold decorative accessories through Home Interiors and Gifts, Inc. Though I no longer have any Home Interior products, I still love the accessorizing process and do decorative consulting on a casual basis as requested. However, I find that my decorative consulting generally falls into the category of event and wedding planning. It is wonderful to help plan a "dream come true" event! Several years ago, I completed the educational requirements for a Certificate in Interior Design, and that knowledge continues to flow into my creative process.
I believe that friends are like flowers. I can never have too many.

I have notebooks full of things I have written. My friends say I should write a book, and well, I guess I have, haven't I? Joking aside, I hope I live a long HEALTHY life to do all the fun and creative projects I find interesting... so much too do, so little time!
Probably due to the experience I gained in my decorative consulting business, I don't mind public speaking. I've read that public speaking is the #1 fear. Thank you to the ones reading this, who have given me the opportunity to talk to your group. It has been a humble joy! Subject matter that I have enjoyed speaking about is generally craft, decorative or devotional/inspirational related.

OK, let me go back and see if that is eight things...oh, I've probably said to much. I think that is eight, at least! Well, that's it for today. A glimpse into a few of the things I enjoy. Have a wonderful Monday, and I've gotta scoot. Again I say, so much to do, so little time!
TaTa for now.
Love, Rachel

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rachel, you are so talented. Anyone who can create a wedding dress from two wedding dresses is amazing. I would love to see a picture of that. God definitely gave you a gift, mine is definitely not sewing. Oh well....
Thanks for sharing with us.

Hugs,
LeAnn :)

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!
What talent you have, Rachel. I've never known a more creative person. It is an honor to know you.

LOL, LSH

A Romantic Porch said...

Oh Linda, Just wait till you meet all 5 brothers and 4 sisters and the ones that belong to all of us. Put us all together, and you've got a movin' shakin' machine! We're nice about it though! (smile) Thank you for the kind compliment. You're so sweet.

Anonymous said...

Every day when I read your postings, I learn more and more about your abundance of all our talents and many more added in. Love you, have a good day, Donnie

Ronda said...

You are probably one of the most talented, creative people that I have ever met...I know two of the happy brides that you helped make their dress into the "perfect creation! What I love about you is that your "creative being" is only rivaled by your sweet, caring heart! Have a good day!(oh..I love the lights above your sink...neat!)

blessings said...

So that's the key to getting those little bitty dresses to fit us regular people!! I can't believe you did it. I've been sewing for a long time and it that seems like some kind of miracle if you ask me! Blessings.. Polly

Karla Cook @ Roads to Everywhere said...

Fun stuff! I enjoyed seeing some new pictures.

As Cedric would say: I'm just suh proud to know ya! I wisht you was my uncle! Oh, wait, you are! No, wait a minute, that's not quite right either, is it? Oh, I know! You're married to my uncle!! Does that make you my uncle-in-law? ..::snicker::..

Just feeling kinda silly. Hope you're having a great day!

Victoria Lynn said...

Rachel, You are one amazing woman! I know what you mean about not being able to sleep some nights...usually my mind is most creative at night. I love that you made two dresses into one - that truly is magic! God bless you as you let your talent shine! Blessings, Victoria Lynn

Anonymous said...

What a neat post! I'm way proud of you!

Love you! Esther

Debbie said...

Rachel, I've loved reading your blog! You are very creative. We share many of the same interests. I've altered formal wear for years. One of my favorite things is taking a mothers or grandmothers wedding dress and redesigning it for the new bride. Something old, something new. Love to see some of your designs.
Debbie

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

Hi Rachel,
I always love to learn new things about you. I'm not surprised at all you are able to do all those things (especially the public speaking - eeks - scary to most!).

Love the twinkly lights - we use them too!

Happy day,
xoxo~Tracie

Painted Pink Pot said...

I love reading your blog also. The knobs are a great deocr touch..

THE HOME THAT LOVE BUILT said...

Thanks for sharing all these things about you Rachel!!! You are VERY talented!!

Blessings
Brook

Tara said...

RAchel

Loved reading this, so gr8 to hear about other people....I have tagged you for a 6 word meme telling the philosophy of your life--hop to my blog to see!

You have been tagged alot sweetie! Hope that is OK
Tara

Kathy said...

What a lovely page and so many wonderful ideas...you are a talented lady,Rachel! Thanks for taking the tag and running with it. Loved seeing your blog again! Kat (mimisgarden.blogspot.com)

Farrah said...

Love reading about you Rachel! Wow! You have accomplished a lot, and I'm certain have much more ahead! I feel like you on wanting to do so many things and not enough time to do them all. That's what comes from having a creative mind. Life is SOOOOO good, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

I love your twinkle lights!! they looks so pretty!!
Come by my blog I just opened an Enchanted Swap! going to be tons of fun I hope to see you join!
http://gypsymermaidlife.blogspot.com/2008/03/echanted-swap.html

toodles-
Sarah

Dori Overman said...

You are NOT married to karla's uncle...you are married to her uncle--in-law...does that make you her aunt-in-law? Or does it make you her aunt once removed? And if I am her sister whos my uncle, er, aunt?

Anonymous said...

HI RACHEL, WHEN I FINISHED READING YOUR POST I THOUGHT WOW!!!! WHAT MORE CAN I SAY.. KEITH

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

I just love the way you write and the photos included!

I would love to see the twin wedding dresses made into one!! And the christening gown made from a wedding gown, I love things like that!

Your talent is a gift from above!

Katherine

Rose of Sharon said...

I wished you lived near me and could help my new soon to be daughter in law design her wedding! I am so amazed by your abilities! Rachel, you have so much talent and you are so humble and nice, what a great combo!

Hugs, Sharon

Kingswood Food and Craft Market said...

Rachel you are amazing! Sooo talented and so lovely. I think we all want to see a pic of that wedding dress now :)

Thanks for sharing those great things about you!
xo
Shann

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

You are really an amazing and talented woman, I'm so in awe of all your abilities!

Thanks for sharing all of these tidbits about you, Rachel!

Blessings!

Melissa

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

How insightful and entertaining! Wish that you had pictures of the dresses you alter and create! :) Enjoyed your talented writing and creative ideas! :) Rhonda

Mommy said...

I didn't know all that about you Rachel! Did you see my post about my wedding dress? It was redesigned also by a talented seamstress. I think it is the second or third post down from the top.