Friday, March 28, 2008

Keeping My Promise

Here they are! The first flowers that I've found this Spring. Yesterday, I was with my husband on a construction site, and there tucked up against an old fence, were these beautiful flowers. My promise to you was to take a picture of the first flowers I found that popped their courageous head through the hard cold soil. Well I think this would have taken courage. See the cold droplets of rain weighing down the blooms?


I wish these were at my home, but alas, I found them! As I was taking the picture, I reached down to flick away the leaf, when I paused to realize that blades of grass had grown up through the Pin Oak leaf. How can that be, that a tender soft blade of grass would push right through the fragile crunchy surface of a dead leaf? I call it a miracle, made by the Creator of Spring!


As I share this with you, I feel the excitement rushing through my veins that I felt as a small child, when every Spring, I would be searching the hillside by the creek, by the barn, anywhere, just to find the first tiny flower making it's miraculous announcement. I plucked it quickly and breathlessly rushed in to show Mother. She would express her excitement and joy appropriately, and then put the my treasured bloom in a cup of water. I felt like I won a trophy every year!



Shann, (Paint Mine Pink) I saw this car parked along the street. I truly believe it has been hand painted pink, and I couldn't resist getting a picture to show you. Please paint mine pink too, just not my car...anything else. Well almost anything! I have wondered what it would be like to cruise around town in a car this color. I wonder if people would like it? My daughter thinks it is SO cute.





Several people are participating in Flea Market Friday, so if you want to see some of my sale items, click here!




Happy Friday!


Love, Rachel




20 comments:

Alison Gibbs said...

Rachel what sweet spring flowers and the way the grass has grown through the leaf is amazing.
Shann is sure to love that pink car
Alison

Kingswood Food and Craft Market said...

WOOOHOOOOO
I DO LOVE IT !
broooom broooom Baby!
Im just cracking up laughing that you stopped and took a pic of that for me!

Ok so when i get my pink car i will fly it over with me and pick you up so we can go shopping!
hmm you think we will have lots of gals who will want to come with us?? Maybe i better bring 2 cars just in case LOL.

You're a legend Rachel !

Luv Shann xo

A Peek Into My Life said...

Oooh! Those flowers are a sign of hope that Spring really is on the way. Beautiful! And encouraging. :)

Karla Cook @ Roads to Everywhere said...

Did you know that Grandmother talked about the "tiny spring flowers that Rachel always brought me" even years after you were grown? (You probably did.) I remember "helping" you look for the "may flowers" the years we lived there, but I thought it was so neat that she cherished that memory, too.

We've been having snow every day since the calendar said was officially spring. It's not staying around long (thankfully!), but still no flowers... that I've seen anyway. I did notice the tiniest hint of baby leaf buds on a tree/bush in the front yard a day or two ago. I am just dying to know what kind of tree it is. I am hopeful that it's a dogwood! I guess I could take a picture of the pitiful dead thing and let my blog readers help me figure out what it is, huh? That'd be a good contest, wouldn't it? To see who is right when warm weather finally does get here.

A Romantic Porch said...

Karla, Thank you for sharing that memory about Mother. I didn't know she said anything about the flowers to you. So touching. Thank you. Love, Rachel

The Old Painted Cottage said...

These flowers are beautiful. Isn't the beginings of Spring just so refreshing. Like a fresh start; a new begining; a chance for everything to be new again.

Happy Spring sweetie!
Jennifer

Farrah said...

Happy Friday, Rachel! I am so glad you have found your "first flower of spring" shot! It gives me hope that spring will come!

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

Good morning Rachel,
Beautiful flower, so nice seeing the blades of grass rising up too.
You made me laugh with that car - I can just see Shann driving it with her head held high. I too wonder what it would be to drive in that car, shall I go to my hardware store and grab a few cans of pink paint? So, so funny ~ thanks for the laugh. It's simply the poshest pink!
xoxo~Tracie

Anonymous said...

The flowers are so pretty. And that car is definitely for Shannon!! I see her driving that wearing a pink hat with a big ole pink feather sticking up out of her hat. LOL!!

Hugs,
LeAnn :)

Debbie said...

Spring is wonderful! It is also deceptive in that it looks fragile but is very tough. Plants are the same, poking their way through dirt, leaves, borads, and concrete. God's creation is amazing.
Debbie

THE HOME THAT LOVE BUILT said...

What a ptetty splash of color for spring! You are truly an exceptional lady making our world more beautiful.

Blessings
Brook

Anonymous said...

That is an amazing thing, those blades of grass through the leaf! I don't think I've ever seen anything remotely like it. And that car! That's too funny!
Brenda

Tara said...

RAchel

How sweet to find these flowers! Enjoy your weekend!

:0)
Tara

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I was totally amazed when I saw the grass growing through the old brown leaf!
Hugs,
Penny

Anonymous said...

So you don't have to be hard as nails to get through, do you! Sometimes, just persistence does the trick!

Beautiful, beautiful pictures.

Fun car!!

Love, Esther

COLLS GARDEN said...

Rachel, those little Crocus are just beautiful. I have some in my front garden almost the same colour. And yes, my dear daughter would love that pink car. She paints everything else, so why not her car (lol).
Coll :-}

Anonymous said...

HI RACHEL, SPRING IS ON IT'S WAY AND YOU FOUND PROOF. GREAT PICTURES. KEITH

Rue said...

Beautiful flowers Rachel. I can't wait til the start coming up here.

That car is too cute!

Have a great night sweetie,
rue

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Those flowers are so beautiful with the rain drops on them!

Katherine

Mommy said...

Beautiful Spring flowers! And my Sweetie would agree with your daughter about the car. It reminds me of Peptmo Bismol (sp?) though, lol! :D