Tuesday, March 18, 2008

I've Been Thinking

We bought our home from the Mayor of our town and his wife. He had given many years of service and was a friendly "know everyone sort of" person. When he and his wife moved they left behind this fabulous old frame, because it was screwed to the wall as the bathroom vanity mirror. Now I use the mirror in another place. And I've enjoyed having the frame here on the dining room buffet.
The Mayor and his wife lived a full life and raised 5 children here. We love to hear their stories when we see them around town. When our eldest son was in 6th grade, his homeroom teacher was one of the five children. She grew up using the same bedroom that is now our son's.

Many times as I think about the people that I care about, or even people I don't know, but our paths cross in a significant way, I wonder what I could learn from their unique circumstances. We are all so different, because each of us experiences life from the emotional make up of every unique thing that has happened to us, and how we responded to it. I know I'm not saying anything new or earth shattering, but many times I've heard people say, "We (human beings) are all just alike". And I know what they mean, but I've been thinking, hhhmmm, are we really...all just alike? What causes one person fear and frustration may be the very thing that challenges another to step up to the plate so to speak, and hit a home run!
My mother was a hard worker...one of the hardest working people I've known. When I was a child, she would say, "Let's just take a little break and have a picnic. " The picnic meal would be peanut butter and crackers, and we would sit on the front porch step to eat! It was a tiny diversion from the task at hand. So today, if you are needing a little break, and would like to join my picnic, I'm serving Diet 7-UP and Pop Tarts! However, we'll have to find another place to sit. It's cold and rainy on the front porch steps. Come on over! I'm looking forward to it.
See you soon! Love, Rachel

15 comments:

Alison Gibbs said...

Great post Rachel
Have a great week
Alison

The Going Blog said...

Now that's a fancy pop tart. Never have seen one like that. I didn't know about the history of the frame either :) I love blogs!

Wild Lady Slippers said...

Just what i needed to start the day,great story.I'm new to blogging and i love it. Paula

THE HOME THAT LOVE BUILT said...

Beautiful story Rachel!!! A joy to read!!
It's pouring down here too! Let it rain!!!
Blessings
Brook

Ronda said...

I always love the saying.."If these walls could talk"...I think the history of older houses is so interesting! Love the pretty teacup and saucer! I'll be right over!(smile)

Anonymous said...

What an important thing to remember - take a little break! Its benefit lasts way longer than the 15 minutes it takes to do it! Thank you for reminding me of that!

I'd love to take a pop tart and 7-up break with you!

Have a fun day!

Love, Esther

lauralavon said...

I have been just quickly enjoying your posts via my google reader instead of coming directly to your blog, but this one was so sweet, I had to comment! Your thoughts, memories, pictures...all are so pleasant, warm, and inspiring in unique ways. Thanks so much for sharing with us!
Happy rainy day! We have it too.
I think at some point today, I'll grab my girls and take a few minutes to sit on the porch for a break like you and your mother use to...so sweet.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Rachel for the sweet story!
xo
mary
hoganfe handbags

Debbie said...

Rachel, Love the frame, and the story. The history of old houses, well, the stories they could tell are fascinating. There use to be a kindergarten in my old house, in the early to mid 20th century. I love hearing the stories from the people who attended and still live here.
I think I'll take some warm tea and sit on the porch.
Thanks, Debbie

Anonymous said...

HI RACHEL, OUR BROTHER SAID THE PROBLEM WITH NOT HAVING ANY THING TO DO IS THAT YOU CAN'T TAKE A BREAK. GREAT POST TODAY , YOU SAID IT SO WELL. KEITH

Anonymous said...

Thanks Rachel for your inspiring words today, we all need a little of that now and then.

Hugs,
LeAnn :)

Dori Overman said...

I miss your mother and all her "little" jobs! She had a way of making life fun! She was an amazing Grandmother! I can't imagine a better one!

Farrah said...

I'm intrigued by that pop tart! Did it come with the fancy picture on top??

I like the all chocolate ones and the frosted with red filling ones! Smore is good, too!

Rue said...

Okay ... where did you get the fancy pop tart??

I love that you can talk to the people that lived in your home :)

Unknown said...

What an intersting story of your home! I love stories like that and LOVE that frame!

I would love a pop tart too ;)