Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Still Searching For Signs of Spring

I enjoyed seeing all the beautiful Springy colors in the picture on yesterday's post. The reality is: our snow is almost melted and it is warmer, but no leaves or flowers are appearing yet, so I'm enjoying my anticipation of Spring in other ways.
Our next door neighbor works for a preservation society. Last Fall she wrote a grant for this house, which is about 5 blocks away, to be placed on the National Register of Historic Homes. I enjoyed hearing her tell me about all the research she did on our little town, in preparation for writing the grant. She said the owners plan to turn this home into a Bed and Breakfast. I've been in it and for anyone who loves old homes, oh my, it is a true wonder! I've contemplated several times what it would be like to visit it as a Bed and Breakfast guest when we live so close by. I've walked past those porch posts and spindles many many times!
And...did you notice the color? The aqua~robin's egg blue~whatever we decide to call it~ color. Oh! don't forget to look at the mustard yellow door. Many of the homes around here that were built in the last 25 years or so of the 1800's have really narrow front doors.




The colors of the flowers on different dishes are bringing me Spring cheer.

And in an earlier post, I promised to take a picture of the first flower that popped its courageous head through the hard cold soil. I've searched and searched, but so far, Ivory is all that I have found...oh yea, she's a ferret, not a flower, but she's saying, "It's cold, but I'm sure cozy!" And yes, she fluffed her bedding just right to make the "cuff " around her neck. So cute, I thought! Have a happy pre-Spring day, dear friends. Love, Rachel

18 comments:

Alison Gibbs said...

What a gorgeous house you have posted about.
Alison

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures! The house is beautiful! The ferret is so cute!

Have a great almost-Spring day!

Karla Cook @ Roads to Everywhere said...

Do I dare tell you I have some little plates in that pattern also? Or is that one calling my name?? Funny how we have the same tastes in old china!

A Romantic Porch said...

Oh Yikes, Karla, that pattern and the blue one are the 2 that I collect. I have 2 dinner plates in that pattern. For some reason, I don't run across either pattern very often. I'm hoping to find it in pink too or any variation of the theme around that specific bouquet of flowers. But that is crazy that you have had both of the pieces that I like. Occasionally I have seen dishes with that bouquet of flowers in the middle with a solid band of color (I've seen pink, blue, and green all of which I would like to get sometime)around the outside edge but so far they aren't in my tiny collection! I'll just keep trying. Now all day, I will be trying to let go of these 2 plates. I've always had the idea that if I have it, and someone else wants it or needs it, then it is theirs, but...you've challenged me on this one! Oh my! I have the table set for spring with an assortment of flowered plates, those included. Have a fun day!

Karla Cook @ Roads to Everywhere said...

Rachel, don't give me your plates! I was only teasing you! I think it will be fun for us to both watch for more pieces and see what kind of collection we come up with between the two of us, since we live in different parts of the country. I've been checking for dishes at the thrift stores more avidly since I sent you the little plates of the other pattern in January.

Last week I found 4 coffee mugs in my Corelle Morning Blue pattern that Lyle and Daddy bought me before we were married. They had each bought me a set of 4 place settings, but they came with tea cups and saucers. I had never had coffee mugs before, so I was excited!

So now I'll be watching for the other china patterns you are interested in (plus this one), more pieces of the Morning Blue Corelle, any Pfaltzgraff Yorktowne that I don't already have, and violet cup-and-saucer sets! Right now the list is in my head. If it gets any longer I may have to write it down and stick it in my wallet! Ha.

Ronda said...

I believe that house has my name on it somewhere! (smile) I LOVE it! Would love to visit it as a B+B! Beautiful plate, too! (I think that I would really enjoy collecting pieces of antique china!)Cute,"cozy" ferret, too! Hope that you are having a good day...

THE HOME THAT LOVE BUILT said...

Lovely house. So charming. It's perfect for a bed and breakfast!!!

Blessings
Brook

Farrah said...

Rachel, that house is like a dream! You must do a post if you visit it as a Bed and Breakfast! I would love to see pics of the inside!

Jen Glover said...

Thank you for sharing the gorgeous pictures! I love your blog! I will be back! Take care!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Hi Rachel,
That house is just beautiful! I would love to own a house like that, but imagine the upkeep! Not to mention the electric bills :-).

I see the little plate's border matches the border I put on my mosaic picnic basket - don't we have good taste ;-)
Hugs,
Penny

Denise said...

This is too cute - all you girls and your same tastes in china! Thank you for sharing the lovely Spring pictures.

That house is BEAUTIFUL! Maybe they'll serve tea every once in a while so we could do tea there! Wouldn't that be fun?

Have a delighful day!

Rue said...

Hi Rachel,
Thank you so much for coming to see my blog! Your town does look a lot like mine :) I just love old homes. The future bed and breakfest looks like a beautiful one. Please come see me again sometime. Have a beautiful day,
Rue :)

Debbie said...

The house is fantastic! Love it! Thanks for sharing.
Debbie

Kathi said...

Very pretty house and dishes. I'm hoping for spring too. What a darling little creature. I'd get one, but I'm afraid our three cats would kill it, or frighten it to death. Happy Wednesday.

Kathi

Anonymous said...

That house is spectacular and I love your plate, the colors are yummy!

Hugs,
LeAnn :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! That house is really pretty! Wouldn't it be fun to splurge and go there! I wonder if they will have as pretty dishes as yours?

Say hi to Ivory! She looks happy!

Hope you're having a fun evening!

Love, Esther

Rose of Sharon said...

I LOVE that house! Oh my goodness, it is so pretty! I would love to see the inside!

Hugs, Sharon

Anonymous said...

HI RACHEL, LOVE THAT HOUSE . I WAS CHECKING OUT THE ROOF AND WOODWORK AND YES THE COLORS. GREAT PICTURES. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. KEITH