Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Aren't these baskets of flowers so beautiful hanging on the light poles of our tiny downtown? I waited through such long cold dark months of ice and snow for the first appearance of spring. So I'm still enjoying summer. I know the clock is ticking, ticking, ticking along toward autumn. I don't deny that. I see the flowers fading from the intensity of the hot sun and the leaves on the trees look weary. It seems as though they are anxiously awaiting the surge of energy that a boost of color brings. But I'm enjoying today. It's still summer.
Tree ripened fruit is more abundant as the summer wears on. Fresh peaches and nectarines make such a yummy cobbler. With peach juice dripping from my elbows and my mouth full of fresh fruit, I'm asking just one question, "What is your favorite fruit?" Oops, I mean, I swallowed my peaches first, THEN I asked the question. Yeah, that's how I did it...all polite and everything! I really did! It's a rule at our house. No talking with food in your mouth. Anyway, what is your favorite fruit? Yes, I'm serious, I'd like to know.

Happy birthday to my sweet sister in law, Joy!

Have fun making a cobbler or freezing peaches or doing whatever it is you will do on this nice "summer" day.

Love, Rachel


11 comments:

The Going Blog said...

That's our town all right. I must take note of that clock the next time I drive by. I love all of the revitalization going on. Strawberries are my pick. I know it is a berry but they really are my favorite "fruit". No sunshine today but we have it bottled up in our hearts hopefully :-)

Unknown said...

I am with you Rachel!! I feel the very same way about summer :) I loved this post so much. It made me feel warm inside on a chilly morning. Thank you!

Hugs,
Amy

Victoria Lynn said...

Mmmm...peach cobbler is a slice of heaven, yum! Have a wonderful week! Hugs, Victoria Lynn

Salmagundi said...

Enjoy your summer while you can! Personally, I can hardly wait for Fall. We are knee-deep into blackberries from our garden right now, so blackberry cake is on my list for this week. Sally

{oc cottage} said...

Ohhhhhhhhh my gosh! does your town out up those banners for 9/11? WOW!

M ^..^

Patti said...

Lots of sunshine and fall-ish temperatures today after a nasty, cold (yes cold) rainy stormy day yesterday! I absolutely adore raspberries and blueberries and peaches in everything and anything and all together in a salad too. Have a great day!

Lynn Hasty said...

Hmmmm. As far as fresh fruit, I would have to say peaches that are just-right ripe. I love wild blackberries, but lately seems they are all so bitter, so I have to say peaches right now.

I also love figs, plums, oranges...

Lynn :)

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

Passion fruit is my very favorite, next would be figs. I can't wait for Fall myself (my favorite season ;)
xo~Tracie

Anonymous said...

Peaches are my pick! Your pictures are beautiful!

Happy Birthday, Joy!! I'm so glad you're my sister-in-law, too!

Love you both!
Esther

Kathi said...

You are so funny Rachel. I love berries, especially strawberries and raspberries. I love it when towns put those gorgeous baskets up like that. Our nearest town does that too. Have a happy day. Kathi

Anonymous said...

HI RACHEL , THOSE PEACHES LOOK SO GOOD. KEITH