Saturday, June 14, 2008

Yep! You guessed it!

The photo below is the first full leaf that bloomed out on my rhubarb plant this spring! A neighbor gave me a start off of her plant that was originally from her grandfather. So she would call it an heirloom plant.
My dilema is that she told me you had to wait 5 years to use the stalks. Funny...with all the interesting things my parents exposed us to, rhubarb just wasn't on the list when I came along. I know it makes delicious pies, but I must educate myself on the amazing plant soon.
I'll take any help from you that you can give. So there it is! Now you know it is rhubarb. And is that beautiful crisp green leaf really poison?
Love, Rachel

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since your parents are my parents, I have no clue either! I'll be anxious to know!

Wanita said...

Yes, the leaves of rhubarb are toxic, but with the stalks you can make many delicious dishes ~ pies, cakes, crisp. I've even made freezer jelly. Just do a Google search for "rhubarb recipes," and you'll find lots. You can also freeze it. After washing and drying, I cut it into 1/4 to 1/2 inch pieces, spread on a cookie sheet, freeze, and then bag it for the freezer.

As for picking it, the first year after planting, you can harvest very lightly. The second year after planting, you can pick all the rhubarb you want. Again, a google search will help you find more information.

Hope this was helpful. I know you'll enjoy many delicious dishes from your rhubarb.

Kathi said...

I did not know that you had to wait five years. I have lots of rhubarb plants that were here before we got here. We just cut every stalk way down and use it all except the deadly leaves. The leaves are poisonous. I just got a recipe for rhubarb custard bars. I can't wait to try it. Happy Father's Day. Kathi

PS Thanks Rachel, for writing such nice things.

Kingswood Food and Craft Market said...

Hiya Rachel, Im not a fan of Rhubarb (sorry rhubarb, its nothing personal..LOL) but yep i do believe those leaves are toxic in some way.
Shame..they are a gorgeous colour.

Love Shann x

Tara said...

Oh well, I was wrong!

Anonymous said...

The rhubard photo brings back wonderful memories of my mom making the most scrumptious pies and jellies. I know nothing about raising it---I just know I loved it the way mom used it. Have fun learning about your rhubard patch!

Anonymous said...

HI RACHEL, YOU HAVE SUCH A WOUNDERFUL WAY WITH WORDS. KEITH