Tuesday, June 17, 2008

What Potential!

When we first got these old cabinet drawers, we didn't remove the glass handles. However, we knew there was great potential in the "empty vessels of storage"! For a while I used one of the drawers to hold video games and equipment. On Saturday one of my sisters who is here for a visit, took the handles off of the drawers and soaked them in bleach and scrubbed them. Don't they look so pretty? I tried to get a picture of the light reflecting off the glass, but I must not have had the camera on the right setting. I would just love to have a bowl full of these beauties sitting right here on the cabinet. Old glass is beautiful to me. It has an aged depth and quality that you don't see in newer pieces. I wonder if it is the age or the ingredients used to make the glass? Come to think of it, sometimes people become more beautiful as they age too, if they allow the circumstances of life to reflect a quality of beauty from their countenance and attitude. I hope as I age I don't become hard and brittle or harsh and crackled. I believe I can choose to be joyful and cheerful, reflective of good and wholesome qualities.

After all the scrubbing and shining, my sister put the handles (or are they pulls?) on our old cabinet doors. If you look closely you will see the light rays reflecting from them onto the doors. Aren't they perfect there? Thank you so much for helping me, sweet sis. I couldn't have done it without you. You know that already! Right now I only have four glass handles, but I'm on the lookout for more!

Thank you to everyone who reads my blog and sends me emails and tells me in person, even if you don't leave a comment. During this amazing season in the life of our family, I appreciate your friendship and comments so much. I read each one, and don't take any of you for granted. I guess life will slow down eventually and we will find a new normal! Right?

Have a "toodle ~ ooo" kind of Tuesday.

Love, Rachel

P.S. What's "toodle ~ ooo"? Oh well, make it whatever you want it to be!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell your sister I think she did a terrific job. We saw another off today that will be there soon to help with more jobs you might have! Wish I could have come too.

I'll keep my eye out for more glass pulls.

lol, lsh

Paula said...

Those are gorgeous, Rachel!

Ronda said...

Beautiful glass handles! I love the comments that you made about "aging"!(Seeing how I just turned the big "40"! ha!) Hope that you are having a great visit with your sister...Toodle-doo!!

SentimentsbyDenise said...

The handles are gorgeous!

Donna Lynn said...

Hello precious friend!!! So happy to hear from you this AM! I need to do some serious catching up for about a million hours so I can talk to everyone and see how things have been going! I will email you tonight, I have to talk to you about some things and this is not where I want to do that!!! Love you tons and I will try and read all your posts that I have missed!
XO,
DL

Anonymous said...

I know just what you mean about old glass. I know someone who bought a house from the 1920's that still had all the original glass doorknobs. He kept them all and they look beautiful!

CIELO said...

Hi Rachel.... hope you can participate in our garden party... can hardly wait to see your garden... :)

Hugs

Cielo

Debbie said...

They are beautiful! Aging creates a beauty that cant be reproduced. Each piece and person is unique.
Debbie

Farrah said...

I'd be afraid to touch those drawers in the first pic! Uck! But the handles cleaned up nice!

So neat how you see a parable in everything! That is something we have in common. I remember how easy it was for me to come up with deeper meanings when we analysed stories in English class. Hubby said he had a terrible time doing that. LOL! I'll bet you got straight A's in English! Or at least creative writing! :-)

Anonymous said...

Your sister did a wonderful job on the pulls. They look great on your door.

hugs alaura

Angie said...

i love old glass handles and pulls, too. have you ever seen the old glass door knobs? my gram used to have green ones on all her doors..they were somethin! i have glass knobs on most of my furniture...so much fun to look for them at flea markets!

~Angie

Alison Gibbs said...

Love the way the glass door handles 'cleaned up'- so pretty.
When we (in Australia) say toodle oo it means good bye
So toodle oo to you
Alison