Tuesday, June 3, 2014

It's In The Promise Of The Wishberry

 A few weeks ago on a damp and cold and dreary 
 Spring day
she asked,
"When do you ever think
we will see those yellow flowers again?"
 
I said,
 "What yellow flowers?"
 But I was thinking
tulips...
or
daffodils...
 
Then with a contemplative
tone in her voice
she said,
"Well...,
 the only way I know
to describe them
is
 they are
young wishberries!"
 
Then I knew!
Ah yes.
Young wishberries.
When she was just a tiny
wisp
of
a
child,
quiet
and
intuitive,
hardly talking,
she christened a dandelion puff
calling it
"a wishberry".
I've loved dandelion puffs,
since I was a child.
Still,
even now,
I love blowing them
and
watching the seeds
float,
float away,
on the wings of the fragile puff
of my breath
or the wind.
Once when I was in elementary school
I found a huge dandelion puff
where two stems had fused
and grown together
making a
heart shaped puff
much larger than I had ever seen.
And so began my fascination with them.
Upon her pronouncement of calling them
wishberries,
so very aptly named,
in my humble opinion,
they became just that much more
dear to me.
And
we've enjoyed
wishberries
together
ever since.
 
We never fail to have
a bouquet each Spring
 of
young wishberries
and violets.
 
I perused the yard and I only found one actual wishberry.
 
It wasn't a perfectly round seed pod of puff and promise.
 
It was actually kind of small and tattered.
 
It was battered by the wind and last night's rain.
 
But still the promises were there,
in the seeds
that waited to be released
from their tiny station on the stem.
 
The seed held the promise for more young wishberries.
 
The seeds will float,
float away,
still a part of their past,
but becoming something new.
 
Renewal
Growth
I suppose life
just isn't life
without it.
Scattering and change
and yet
still
hope for regrowth.
 
When there is enough rain and wind and battering,
 
those seeds will
loosen their grip and spread
 
and there will be more yellow polka dots across
 
the lawn.
 
I know most people don't like them.
And find them to be a nuisance.
 
I see hope...
in the promise of the wishberry.
 
Don't you?

1 comment:

Donnie Pirtle said...

WOW! I will always look at a "wishberry" differently from now on. Have a wonderful day.