Thursday, October 8, 2009

Ladybug Fly Away Home!

And so we were out doing a boundary survey. Of course there was ample opportunity for me to observe nature and look at the bark on trees and such interesting things as that. Why oh why didn't I have the camera? I used my phone camera instead in an attempt to show you this colony of Ladybugs that have clustered onto the bark of these two trees and the fence that goes between them. Yep, those little blurry red dots are gobs and gobs of really really red Ladybugs! It was 47 degrees. Were they trying to get warm?
Then there was the Preying Mantis so perfectly camouflaged on the fence post that I almost put my hand on him. He twisted his triangular shaped head from side to side and did a backwards dance away from the uncertainty of what my pink phone camera might do to him. Ah, see those huge black walnuts (yep~those green little balls) lying all over the ground. I wanted to take every single one of them home with me. But I didn't pick them up. No not one. Oh, such discipline!
sigh
I just wanted you to see what I saw. I knew you'd find it interesting too!
When you were a kid did you chant this rhyme?
Ladybug, Ladybug fly away home.
You're house is on fire
AND
your children will burn!
We did!
Where in the world did that come from?
Have a great day, however you spend it...chanting rhymes, observing insects...whatever makes you happy...
xo rachel


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have seen this on the news before but never in real life. How beautiful!

Claudia said...

I love ladybugs! I am always entranced by them and consider them good luck! We have a black walnut tree. Next year, I'll send you some!

Esther said...

What a fun post! The ladybugs would be interesting to see! And the black walnuts sound delicious! Just think of all the goodies you could have with a black walnut tree!

Have a wonderful day!

Love, Esther