Monday, October 5, 2009

Optimism

The guidance counselor at our daughter's school is such a neat lady. I've enjoyed the times that I've had an opportunity to chat with her and our daughter thinks she's great. She writes for our local paper. In a recent article she told of her father's involvement with "The Optimist Club" across his adult life, then she shared the optimist creed. Until then I'd never read or seen it.
I've pondered it a lot since then. It is interesting "food" for thought.
The Optimist Creed
"Promise Yourself
To be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind.
To talk health, happiness and prosperity to every person you meet.
To make all your friends feel that there is something in them.
To look at the sunny side of everything and make your optimism come true.
To think only of the best, to work only for the best, and to expect only the best.
To be just as enthusiastic about the success of others as you are about your own.
To forget the mistakes of the past and press on to the greater achievements of the future.
To wear a cheerful countenance at all times and give every living creature you meet a smile.
To give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others.
To be too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for fear, and too happy to permit the presence of trouble."
The next to the last phrase...fits me to a "T"! I definitely don't have time to be critical of others. I'd better scram and get this day on the move! Have an optimistic day!
xo rachel

8 comments:

Rose of Sharon said...

That is a great creed and something I must remember!

I wrote you an email back today.

I hope you have a lovely day.

xox Sharon

Ronda said...

What a WONDERFUL creed...thanks for sharing this with us, Rachel! :) May your day be blessed!

Esther said...

Wow! This is a good thing to strive for! Thanks for sharing it!

Have a great day!

Love, Esther

KEITH said...

HI RACHEL, THAT IS VERY GOOD. KEITH

Claudia said...

I've always hear of the Optimists but had never read their creed. Sounds like perfect advice for daily living. Thanks so much for sharing it, Rachel!

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Perfect....

Blessings,
Spencer

Stella said...

Think I'll paste on my windshield just as a reminder. Thanks for sharing.

Rita said...

It's hard to be optimistic all the time, but trying certainly doesn't hurt! A wonderful post!