Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Surviving The Hail Storm

On Friday, I mentioned standing on our romantic porch and watching the amazing hail that descended all around us during a Spring thunderstorm.
As the marble size balls of ice pelted to the ground, I wondered if any of our flowers would be damaged.
See the pieces of ice that are along the flower bed? These would be considered to be small hail stones.
They were so cold!
I wanted to pick a huge bouquet of irises and I see that they have survived fairly well!

This large purple bloom was tattered and torn the most of all of the blossoms, but it smelled delicious and its' color was enchanting, so I couldn't help but add it to the vase. Sometimes life gives us a beatin'. Doesn't it? Still I think we have something valuable to give, just like the beautiful color and scent of the tattered iris.
Two blooms on one stem really interested me. I kept looking at them and trying to decide why they are like this. One has 3 fragile petals that rise upward around the 3 thick petals nestled deep inside the flower.
The other bloom has only 2 fragile petals that rise up and surround 2 thick petals, but there are also yellow fuzzy things (for lack of a technical term to call them) on this one too. Since I really don't know a single thing about this, I just stand in amazement at the miraculous beauty of it all.
I found a small pale yellow bloom that has a lavender stripe on one petal.
I'm so anxious for this bud to bloom. I didn't cut it. There are 3 buds on this stem. It is the only stem of its kind in the garden. I want this bud to open outside. After it does, I will cut it and watch the other 2 buds open inside.
So now the house is filled with the yummy scents of Spring.
Fresh.Cut.Flowers!
See my happy dance?
Have a wonderful day.
Love, Rachel

14 comments:

Rose of Sharon said...

Wow! That was quite the hail storm! We have them every so often here in Oregon and mostly they are the size of rock salt or peas. One time we had a storm with pellets the size that you were holding and it was very exciting and a little scary!

I am so happy your Iris's held their own and survived the storm. They are so beautiful! So now, they are bringing the calm AFTER the storm!!! :0)

Hugs, Sharon

Mom Going said...

I'm glad your flowers survived the hail storm. Our flowers have been hit by wind for the last several days. We are not used to this much wind day after day. It reminds me of Oklahoma where the winds come dashing over the plains. :~) It has been cooler, also. I enjoy your blog.

Feedsack Fantasy said...

Lucky you your flowers held up! We've had hail 1" in diameter which was very scary. Beautiful florals ... TTFN ~ Marydon

Unknown said...

I love the way the Iris smells! They are pretty hardy blossoms aren't they!?

Ronda said...

Beautiful flowers and pretty arrangements! Love the analogy to life, also! XXOO

Anonymous said...

So glad you picked a displayed that tattered bit of iris- Makes me think of how God puts us on display tattered and all, and uses it for His Glory!

Iris are beautiful- mine are blooming also- I hope to get some pictures up soon-

blessings
mary

The Going Blog said...

Your pics of the hail turned out great. We were eating supper when it came through. I'm glad your flowers survived and you are getting to enjoy them. Isn't it a special feeling to have fresh cut flowers sitting about?

Anna said...

hail storm in May? I love irises! I had some in my garden. Bye from Italy.Ciao.

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Wow, some of those hail stones looked as big as baseballs..and..you could see right through them..to the tree's beyond! you can even see the grass through them and they were HUGE! What made them flat and transparent I wonder? They looked like you would have about battered your poor house down.
Your flowers look beautiful. I am glad you were able to save some of them!

Alison Gibbs said...

Looks like it was a huge hailstorm - those hailstones are huge.
I love your irises - they were my Mums favourite
Alison

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Hi Rachel!

Oh my stars.......that was SOME hailstorm. I've never seen hail that big. I know a friend of my husband's got caught in a horrible hailstorm and it totaled his car! Now that was some big hail! YIKES.

I love your iris's.....so pretty! They really are a glorious flower, aren't they? It looks like spring is on the way in your neck of the woods.

I love your moldings in your hall, by the way......simply stunning.

Warm blessings,
Spencer

Kathi said...

Rachel, Your irises are gorgeous. I too, love their scent. I just noticed today in fact, that these flowers have a very pretty scent.

Thank you for your decorating ideas. I will work on this. I need to get my courage up for it. I must have decorator's block, or a phobia. I can't bring myself to decorate this wall. Hugs, Kath

Donnie said...

Dear Rachel,
Beautiful flowers, my iris have all finished blooming for this year. The lily have now started blooming.
I'm grateful God doesn't toss us out when we get tattered and torn, but still use us in his bouquet, and hopefully that will inspire others who also feel that way.
Have a wonderful day, love you, Donnie

English Cottage in Georgia said...

We have had so much rain, but thankfully no hail. Your irises and floral arrangement are beautiful.