Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Plllllllleeeeeaaaaaaaasssseeee Forgive Me!


Grandma's Apron
The principle use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath, because she only had a few, it was easier to wash aprons than dresses and they used less material, but along with that, it served as a holder for removing hot pans from the oven.
It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears.
From the chicken-coop the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven.
When company came those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids; and when the weather was cold, grandma wrapped it around her arms. Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove.
Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron.
From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the peas had been shelled it carried out the hulls. In the fall the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees.
When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.
When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner.
It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that "old-time apron" that served so many purposes.


Once again, thank you so much. And please forgive me for just now having the opportunity to announce the winner. Y'all are the best. Really!


Love, Rachel



13 comments:

Old Centennial Farmhouse said...

Hi Rachel!
OH, Gosh, that was a lovely essay about aprons! I hope you don't mind but I copied and pasted it into my "Patriots in Aprons" blog...it's PERFECT! Thanks for sharing and congratulations to the lucky winner of such a gorgeous apron!
XOXO
Joni

Unknown said...

COngrats to the lucky winner.

pse said...

If you are interested in who first wrote "Grandma's Apron" go to this web site.http://www.bdb.co.za/shackle/articles/grandmas_apron.htm

Esther said...

Thanks to both of you for sharing about aprons. That was a fun read!

Have a wonderful day!

Love, Esther

Wanita said...

The little story about aprons was wonderful. Thanks for sharing it.

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

A cute little apron for a sweet lady from a sweet lady! Congratulations!
~smiles~
Mona

Feedsack Fantasy said...

Good for Teresa ... great gal. Lovely apron. TTFN ~ Marydon

Connie said...

Rachel, do you know who sponsors "Wordless Wednesday"??? I signed up and cannot remember who does it, sugar. I can't believe this....... Please help if you can....
xoxo,
Connie

Eclectic Chic Style said...

Weeeeeeeeeee!! LOL Rachel, I can't tell you how excited I was when I read that I had won!!! Thank you so much for hosting the giveaway. What a perfect ending to my not so perfect workday. ;) I'm thrilled, it is so lovely!!
and...
I love love love the essay about Grandma's apron, I should copy that and frame to hang with my aprons that hang in display in the kitchen!! Thank you again!!!

Hugs, ♥ Teresa

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

I'm so glad to see the string of pearls with the apron (smile). My husband teases when I go work in the garden not to forget to wear my pearls!

It's a beautiful apron, and congrats to the winner!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

I have enjoyed reading your blog. I have started the posts from our most recent "Grandparent Disney trip" with a look into the eyes of my little guys from this "Grammy"! Also every comment counts as an entry for the May giveaway. (See Monthly Card Box Giveaway")! Stop by for a visit when you have some time.

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

Congrats to Teresa. Of course, you're forgiven, Sweet Pea (just had to call you that since your apron post so reminded me of my grandma and she used to say that all the time ;)
xoxo~Tracie

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Not to worry. I love aprons and always have one hanging in my kitchen...What a nice post..
Hugs..
Mona