Monday, January 14, 2013

Do You Have A "Legacy Plan of Action?"

The other day we were working on a job and though the temps had reached near 60 degrees F, there were still mounds of snow pushed to the side. As we trudged through one particularly deep bank of snow she said, "Now Mom, just step where Dad steps and you will be fine." Inwardly I smiled. She understands the value of following one who knows where they are going.

I'm sure I'm not alone in pondering what I want my life to say about who I am. Certainly if asked, you would say you have done this also.

Recently a sweet friend passed away at the youthful age of 91. Her eulogy stated that she was known for her wit and humor and hospitality.

Though we are in a busy phase of life, I don't want to be described as being known for my busyness, with my eulogy stating, "We knew it was coming to this as she finally ran herself ragged!"

This past year I set a goal to go through every single item we own.  The things that are no longer of use to us, I have passed along in appropriate ways. I'm not finished, but I'm getting close.  Though I only have tiny snippets of time to work on this project, I know that I will accomplish this task. It has been monumental and excruciating. I was not prepared for the emotions I would face.

  With running a business and being from a large family and having most of our family living in other states, we have collected so  many reminders of the history of our lives. One morning last Fall, in the darkness and solitude I was overwhelmed. I felt as though everything we (my immediate family) had ever done or hadn't done was sitting on my shoulders to resolve. I know it wasn't real or true, but the feelings were still there. Every photo and card or handwritten note or  piece of clothing or furniture or too small and ragged mitten, "and such what baubles of every kind", were reminders of the past gone and the present to savor.

The world seemed quite and silent there in the darkness. I was alone. I thought about the loved ones we had lost this year and how the span of life at the very longest is so short. Time is fleeting and illusive. In the silent mooring of predawn, I felt a reminder to consider the woman mentioned in Proverbs 31 (Old Testament). We aren't privileged to know her past circumstances or what she was facing.  However, in my opinion, this is what we ARE told: She wasn't looking back. Nope, uh uh, she wasn't looking back at all! She was busy in the present with the task at hand.  To my way of understanding, it seems she knew that wise choices to the best of her ability, in every moment, would bring joy and peace. 

Have you noticed, every person has a "back story", the part of life we don't see and we don't know?  I believe we have been given the potential to over come hardship and challenges if we try and trust and keep on trying. I also realize that the outcome is not always what we wish for but we can still move forward and have a legacy as an overcomer, rather than being identified with the issue to which we succumed.

Do you know what you are following? What drives and challenges you?
 What do you hope your legacy says about you?

Every day I pray that my little family will make a difference in someone's life.

Rachel 

Proverbs 31: 10-31 NIV
The Wife of Noble Character
10 [a]A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.
11 Her husband has full confidence in her
and lacks nothing of value.
12 She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.
13 She selects wool and flax
and works with eager hands.
14 She is like the merchant ships,
bringing her food from afar.
15 She gets up while it is still night;
she provides food for her family
and portions for her female servants.
16 She considers a field and buys it;
out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
17 She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for her tasks.
18 She sees that her trading is profitable,
and her lamp does not go out at night.
19 In her hand she holds the distaff
and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
20 She opens her arms to the poor
and extends her hands to the needy.
21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
22 She makes coverings for her bed;
she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
23 Her husband is respected at the city gate,
where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
24 She makes linen garments and sells them,
and supplies the merchants with sashes.
25 She is clothed with strength and dignity;
she can laugh at the days to come.
26 She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
27 She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28 Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
29 “Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all.”
30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
31 Honor her for all that her hands have done,
and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.

2 comments:

Skoots1moM said...

many years ago my women's circle did the PROVERBS 31 WOMAN Bible study...it often needs revisiting :)

Donnie said...

WOW!!! What deep and wise statements, WOW!
May we all strive to be as wise.