Sunday, October 10, 2010

No Ordinary Day

10-10-10
What a day! Oh my what a year!
I know people who were married today.
I know people who had an ordinary day today.
Have you ever heard the saying, "Do ordinary things in an extra-ordinary way"?
I love that!
It is a great reminder that even the most mundane of tasks can be extra special.
For instance: When I prepare a roast, I like to season it and sear it in a hot cast iron skillet before I let it cook and simmer for hours till it's yummy and soft and tender. The extra effort is worth the flavor to me and my family.
Today may be ordinary, but I'm challenged to make it extra-ordinary...even if it isn't my wedding day. I don't want it to slip by and be ordinary.
At different times lately, several people have shared hurt and problems with me. Sorrow and hardship are everywhere. They are grasping for answers. Hope and faith are waining. I know how easy it is to feel that way. Sometimes my heart feels like it could burst for the pain and uncertainty that people express. At the end of a day there is exhaustion from the weight of all of it. In the darkness of night sleep evades me as I pray and look for answers to know what to say...what to do...how to help.
My first response is to say, "You can't give up! You must hold on to faith and hope."
However an extra-ordinary response is from the scripture and the power of Christ. This verse gives me courage.
"For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. ~on the contrary~ they have DIVINE power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."
New Testament Second Corinthians Chapter 10 verses 3 through 5 NIV
So go ahead and take this ordinary day and make it extra-ordinary.
Do ordinary things in an extra-ordinary way.
Rachel

16 comments:

Claudia said...

Lovely and powerful post, Rachel. Thank you.

xo
Claudia

Hollace said...

I have been fighting all the fights of kids with school problems, language barriers, visiting houseguests at an inconvenient time, and not having enough time (or energy) to meet my goals for the day, let alone preparing for my Bible study class. I am helped by the verse you just quoted; maybe these other pressures are distracting me from what is essential.

Lady Farmer said...

Beautiful post, Rachel! A great reminder that I can do these things only thru Christ who strengthens me!
Blessings!

Rita said...

Good reminder. There really are no ordinary days if we keep things in perspective and do those things that we should do. Thanks again for reminding us to make them extra-ordinary!

Anonymous said...

The roast was extraordinary !

Thanks for the effort !

Mr. R.P.

Esther said...

Encouraging scripture! I'm praying too! Love, Esther

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Hi Rachel! Good to hear from you!

I can certainly identify with what you are saying here! I enjoy your writings so much. Even though this one is bittersweet you have a way of being positive and giving hope!

So true about so many hurting people these days.

Good analogy of the roast being extraordinary!

Katherine

THE HOME THAT LOVE BUILT said...

Good post Rachel. Wishing you supreme happiness!

XO Brook

saltbox
treasures
said...

Hi. Just found your blog and enjoyed reading your last couple posts. Thanks for the encouragement.
~ Julie

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Where are you my bloggy friend? It is already November 6th and I am finding that difficult to accept that an entire year has already sped by.
I hope you are doing well..

Ronda said...

Beautiful thoughts, Rachel...
(Mother was happy to see you the other day!)

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

Love this post, Rachel. You are always extraordinary in every thing you do for sure.
xo~Tracie

Kathi said...

Thank you for this post Rachel. It was moving and quite powerful. God bless you. It looks like so many of us have slowed down with blogging. I noticed you have, Sharon, me, Pearl, and Amanda. I have not heard anything from Amanda, have you. Hugs to you and your family. xoxo's Kathi

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

Hi Rachel,
Didn't want this year to go by without wishing you and your lovely family a happy Thanksgiving!
ML, Tracie

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Dear Rachel,
I will just keep checking in on you.
HUGS!

Kathi said...

Rachel, Thank you for stopping by my blog today. Do you have control over both blogs now? I'm wanting to make sure this is the real you. Kathi