Monday, August 24, 2009

The Cycle of Life

As the youngest of 10 children, I remember distinctly as my parent's nest emptied one child after another. I remember all but my three oldest siblings leaving home. My memories of my parents missing each child are extremely vivid. I grieved right along with them, and in my childish way tried to console them by saying, "I will ALWAYS be with you." To this day I can feel my mother squeeze me and say, "It seems that way right now doesn't it Rachel?"
And so the feelings of empty nest syndrome have been a part of my life as long as I have memories. Though it wasn't "my nest" when I was a child, I felt those emotions.
When my own children were born I knew this day would come and I tried to live each day with that in the forefront of my mind. Wow! It happened over night! This past week, our little daughter is expressing many of the emotions that I felt as a child.
Each family has a distinct dynamic to the way they function and relate to each other. But it amazes me how much the human race has in common. I am reminding myself that millions of parents have experienced these emotions before and hundreds of thousands are experiencing it now, right along with me.
My husband and I left a piece of ourselves 10 hours away at the university, in the form of a full grown young man. It is time. He has deep roots. He is strong. He will grow mighty wings. He will soar.
Ah, life is an adventure...one day at a time.
Love, Rachel

13 comments:

Mom Going said...

What can I say, but my heart is feeling along with you during this emotional time of life. Our children are always a part of us no matter where they are, and it is exciting to see them mature and grow into the people God intends for them to be.

Love you,

The Going Blog said...

Okay, bring on the tissues. Wow, my Momma heart feels yours. You wrote so elegantly and real. He is going to have an awesome year and when you don't hear from him it's probably because he is studying :)

Esther said...

My thoughts and prayers have been with each member of your family. I know this time of transition is painful. It's a joy to see the little boy you've taught and raised become the fine young man that he is.

Love all of you!

Esther

Rose of Sharon said...

Oh Rachel, I am so sorry you are going through this. It is the toughest thing to go through as a mother. You just realize that life will never be the same and you will never have all your little ones right there with you every where you go. I can tell you that it isn't the same but it is still really wonderful, it is just different. Rejoice in the fact that you did your job and you did it well! You raised a wonderful human being! I hope that your heart is lighter today. God bless you!

Hugs, Sharon

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

I am watching my children go through it...their children are now leaving home. I know how they feel. It's interesting to hear them say "now I know how you felt, Mom."
At least I understand what they are going through. I'm glad I'm here for them.
More weekly lunches? Afternoon movies? Yep. Still...I cry with them..because I remember...

Michele said...

Oh Rachel ~ my heart is with you. I went through it with Cassie, but now she's home again. And then I'll have to go through it again when she moves out..sheesh! And my son just told me this morning that he might move in with friends next year...yikes..I can't handle this!

Big hugz,
Michele

Donnie said...

Dear Rachel,
I have been praying for you. My heart is hurting for you. It is more exciting being the one who is out, trying out and getting your solo wings strong. You will look forward and plan for the homecoming for the holiday breaks.
Big Hugs to you all,
Love you, Donnie

Traci said...

I feel for you. I will be doing the exact same thing for the second time in two years. We will be taking my baby to college. I guess the best we can hope is we have taught them all we know and they take it and succeed.My heart aches though! Traci

Rose Garden Romantic said...

I have three boys, age 7 and under and I don't even want to think of the day when they will leave! My oldest goes back and forth between saying he will live with us forever and then sometimes he decides he will live with his brothers when they are grown. So sweet, how they love us so much and cannot imagine a time when they would actually want to leave their us and be on their own. This must be such a hard time for you, but your heart can rejoice in the fact that you have raised a fine young man and he has made the wise decision to go to college! :)
Michelle

Ronda said...

Can't imagine how that would feel...My heart hurts for you.:( I hope that Jonathan will have a GREAT year...What a special milestone in his life! Life really is a cycle. I think that I will go hug my kids! Sniff, sniff.

joyh82 said...

Going thru the same thing...hugs.
Just dropped both our son a junior and our daughter freshman off at
college this past weekend. It's hard.

Joyce's Journey said...

My heart goes out to you. How hard it is for us to let them go, even though that is what we raised them to do. They can't stay with us, but how nice it would be to be able to freeze time for a little bit, to hold on a little longer. But life goes on and so must we. How bittersweet.

Ann said...

My oh my... you got me thinkin' of what the future holds for me. I only have one child and I gave up my job so I can take care of him well but I better prepare myself for the eventuality when he too will leave the nest. I know I will really be so Sad:(