Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Pausing on Christmas Eve

Each year the Nativity story is depicted in such pretty and perfect terms, almost a sterile manger scene of sorts. I'm sure you know the story well.
I pause to think, how could that be? Wasn't the world harsh and cold? And wasn't a meager stable a place where farm animals ate and slept...a small shelter from the cold and the harsh night beyond?
In the darkness and cold the glow of a light brings much more brilliance than when it is shining in the warmth of sunshine.
Did Mary talk to the animals? Did she ask them to move over? Or did they scurry to make room for her as they heard her cries of anguish. She was probably just looking for a place to lay her head, a place to lie down, to pause and take deep breaths as she pondered the magnitude of the labor to come.
Did the animals come close to bring her warmth? And did the sheep offer his side for a pillow? I don't know!

I do know that the world is harsh and cold.
I do know sometimes our shelter may feel like a meager refuge from the harsh night beyond.
I do know life can be hard and filled with pain and anguish.

And so for all of this we need a Savior...a Light shining brilliantly to bring hope!

On Christmas Eve I pause and ponder...HOPE!
Love, Rachel





10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You said it so very well! Beautiful thoughts!

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas Eve!

Love, Esther

Picket said...

Beautiful post my friend...Merry Christmas to you & yours!

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel,
Merry Christmas to you and your family. Please know that I will be sending your package next week. Sorry for the delay.

Hugs,
LeAnn:)

lauralavon said...

Yes, indeed... beautiful thoughts.

Unknown said...

What a lovely post! I love Christmas Eve. It has always had a very spiritual significance to me. Thank you for sharing. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful thoughts and so beautifully spoken by a very beautiful and thoughtful lady.
Blessed Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours.
Love you, Donnie

Anonymous said...

HI RACHEL, VERY NICE POST. HAVE A GREAT EVENING. KEITH

w00ts up said...

Lovely post! I wonder too. Merry Christmas!

The Muse said...

Brilliant!

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

What a neat post - and photo!

I'm so thankful! I have been so very blessed!

Katherine