Friday, December 19, 2008

Anniversary Thoughts

If my parents were living, today they would be celebrating their 72 anniversary. They did enjoy 61 1/2 years together. They were married toward the end of what historians call "The Great Depression". Mother was 19 and Daddy was 21. I've heard them tell how hard times were for them. But they had love and faith and hope. One year later on Christmas Day, their first son, my oldest brother was born.
Mother and Daddy were strong and generous and cared about the needs of others. They worked harder than hard...if that is possible...and taught all ten of us how to work and stick to it even when the going got tough. I never heard them say I give up. They were an unbelievable team.

I think about them so much, and even though they are gone from my physical presence, I still learn things from them. As I live my life, through the ups and downs, I can look back and remember their responses to different situations they faced, and so I learn again.

As I contemplate this season...they are in the forefront of my mind and I'm pondering and learning...and missing!
Love, Rachel



12 comments:

Glenda said...

Rachel I can relate. I no longer have my parents they have both passed some years back.

I still implement things in my life that I was taught by them. I miss them. they would have been married 50 years.

Happy Holiday's

suzanne said...

Hi, i can identify with your ponderings of your parents. My dad passed 3 years ago and i miss him terribly. I taught me so much and told me every day he loved me and showed me he loved me. I hope i can carry on his beliefs and all he taught me and give the same love he gave to me to those i love. Enjoyed your blog.
suzanne

Anonymous said...

I, too, thought of Mother and Daddy's anniversary yesterday. What an amazing couple they were! Your comments were very accurate!

Thank you for remembering them so beautifully!

Love you,
Esther

Rue said...

Hi Rachael :)

I wish them a very Happy Anniversary up in Heaven :)

I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas filled with love and joy!
love and hugs,
rue

Carolyn said...

Hi Rachel,
A very touching post.You were blessed and great to have all those siblings too.Love,joy and peace to you and your family.
Carolyn

lauralavon said...

Your memoir was touching, Rachel.
Thank you for sharing.

Southern Lady's Vintage said...

Me too Rachael. I still have my Mother but have lost my Father and one brother. I was fortunate to be able to spend today with my Mother and my Sister.
Have a merry Christmas!

Patti said...

Rachel~ I sure can relate. This season is about the memories and traditions that your parents were a part of. Although you are missing them, their memories live on through your family and the traditions you have and the way you live your life. Thinking of you~

Patti

Anonymous said...

Rachel this is such a precious post. xoxo

One Shabby Old House said...

You and me both. I so miss my parents. What a lovely post about yours.
Merry Christmas.
Blessings
Becky

Ronda said...

What sweet thoughts about your parents, Rachel...I know that you loved them so much. Though I didn't know them well....I know they must have been so special to have YOU for a daughter! Merry Christmas to you and your family! XXOO

Anonymous said...

HI RACHEL, YOUR POST ABOUT MOTHER AND DADDY WERE SO TRUE. THEY WERE A VERY POWERFUL TEAM. I THINK OF THEM EVERY DAY. THEY CONTINUE TO BLESS MANY PEOPLE. KEITH