Thursday, December 18, 2008

Christmas In One Week!

What? Next Thursday? How can that be? I heard on the news this morning that 41 million people haven't started their Christmas shopping! How do "they" know? I guess I would fit into the haven't started category, but sssshhhhhhhhh! we're not telling are we? I'm still trying to get the fabulous glow of the Christmas lights on the Christmas tree captured through the lens of the camera.
I don't want to be caught up in the stress and drama that makes Christmas a time for dread. Daddy carved several of these wooden spoons. He called them "Swedish Love Spoons". I was fortunate enough to receive one of them from him. It reminds me to take life a bite at the time, and fill it with love.
Can you see that tiny folded bit of lace behind the gold beads? I know it is kinda blurry isn't it? Several years ago I opened a letter from mother. This 6 inch fragment of lace fell from the page as I opened it. In the letter she said that she had found this piece of lace somewhere and she was just sending it on to me because she knew I would love it. Yes! I loved it then and I still do. I folded it into a bow and placed it into the keepsake tree. A friend's teenage daughters told their mom that they wanted to give me their grandma's rose pin because they knew I would love it! Yes, I loved it then and I still do. I pinned it to mother's lace. These are such small things but filled with a spoonful of love one bite at a time.
I want to appropriately express the love I have in my heart for others. Love is not necessarily expressed in the big and colorful gifts quickly purchased at the last minute. Those gifts can truly be an expression of love, but across the years I've learned that many times it is the small things that show love...expressions of concern, a small remembrance, a caring hug, a kind word, an apology to a spouse or children for words harshly spoken in haste.
So if your are scurrying around finishing up Christmas shopping with the other 41 million, I hope you will still have time to savor the sights and sounds of the season, the laughter and the small bite size blessings that come your way.
Love, Rachel



15 comments:

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Rachel,
Loved your post. It's always a treat to come here for a visit. I love what you did with the lace your mother sent you!

Blessings & Merry Christmas,
Sandi

Salmagundi said...

Beautiful thoughts today to go with your beautiful tree. Sally

Unknown said...

What a lovely post! Your tree is lovely! :)

Karla Cook @ Roads to Everywhere said...

Will you be disgusted if I tell you my Christmas shopping is done? I just stress way too much if I leave things till the last minute.

Come see my "porch" this morning. It's kinda buried!

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

Beautiful post, Rachel.

Yes, it's so important to enjoy the small things in life - one bite at a time. Your little items are very precious and big to your heart. That's what it's all about. I always leave here feeling good.

Merry Christmas to You and Yours, sweet Rachel!
xoxo~Tracie

Anonymous said...

Your Christmas decor is gorgeous. A beautiful post Rachael and so very true; it "is" the small things that count the most. It is the small things that remain a lifetime in the memories too. I'm one of those late shoppers this year. I'm finding, as I move around the blogs, I'm in very good company. xoxo

Anonymous said...

I love your beautiful decorations, as well as your beautiful thoughts.
And it's fun seeing the things on the keepsake tree!

Have a nice day!

Love, Esther

Carolyn said...

Enjoyed your post.Your keepsake tree is lovely.
Merry Christmas,
Carolyn

Brittany said...

Your tree is beautiful!

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I feel so welcomed by all of you ladies!

Take Care and Merry Christmas,

Brittany

Rose of Sharon said...

Your tree is gorgeous! I love that piece of lace from your mother! I also really like that spoon from your dad too! We just got our shopping done yesterday and I will wrap this weekend. It is kind of sad for me, no more toys, basically its just small items and gift cards. Oh well,we will still really love getting together!

Hugs, Sharon

Anonymous said...

HI RACHEL, YOUR THOUGHTS AND PICTURES MAKE FOR ANOTHER GREAT POST.

Victoria Lynn said...

Rachel,
More beautiful things on your tree! I'm glad to say the presents are bought, wrapped, mailed and under the tree. Now for the good part...baking!! Have a wonderful and blessed weekend!
Love,
Victoria Lynn

Debra Howard said...

Very pretty.
Debbie

kayleeg2005 said...

HELLO, LOVE YOUR BLOG, I JUST HAPENED TO STOP BY AND WAS READING YOUR POST ABOUT PEOPLE WHO HAVEN'T STARTED SHOPPING YET?????
YES I'M ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE, SO I GOTTA RUN ROUND LIKE A CHICKEN WITH MY HEAD CUT OFF TOMORROW!
OH GEEEZ.......
MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Betzie said...

Lovely post and such sweet memories your tree holds...