Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Keepsake Tree

I mentioned in an earlier posting that the tree in the dining room is our keepsake tree. I took several pictures of keepsakes to show you, but for some reason they turned out blurry. I'll try again. In the meantime, I will show you this pink glass ornament. It has 7 sides. On the back inside it is "mirrored" like mercury glass. I have a clear glass one too. Several years ago, I went to a yard sale in a retirement village. The lady told me that she remembers these ornaments on her parent's tree when she was a child. She was retirement age. I was happy to trade my quarter for these ornaments from her childhood. She didn't act like it mattered to her. I think about her everytime I put them on the tree and wonder why she didn't care about them.
I usually just use things I have on hand to decorate, so the top of this tree has ribbons and flowers. After Christmas, I'll do something else with them.

One year while designing costumes for a Christmas show, I needed glitter ribbon to edge a costume. Since the only ribbon I could find like that had wire in the edges, I used my serger blade to cut the wired edge off. When I looked on the floor and saw the beautiful curls of wire lying there, I just hung them on the tree instead of dropping them in the trash. Now each year I put them on a tree somewhere in the house. That's just a tiny idea that you can do too, if you need to "stretch" the use of your ribbon.


Have a wonderful day.

Love, Rachel



11 comments:

Ronda said...

Beautiful decorations! In fact, just gorgeous! :) Hope that you are enjoying the holidays! XXOO

Unknown said...

Lovely decorations! Thanks for sharing. :)

Anonymous said...

I love the decorations! Beautiful!

I hope you're having a warm, fun day!

Love, Esther

Salmagundi said...

So interesting about the woman and her childhood ornaments. I hope she did not have an unhappy experience as a child to make her indifferent. At least you can enjoy them now. Sally

THE HOME THAT LOVE BUILT said...

Hi Rachel,
Lovely ornaments on your trees! We wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas!

Love,
Brook

Patti said...

Pretty ornaments pictures Rachel! The ornaments are beautiful. Keepsake tree- what a wonderful idea! Thanks so much for stopping by with a comment the other day- it is really appreciated! Come and visit again soon!

Take care!
Patti

{oc cottage} said...

GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!

M ^..^

Cottage Rose said...

Merry Christmas Rachel; I love all your beautiful ornaments. What a wonderful idea with the left over ribbon. Your tree is spectacular.

Have a great week

Hugs;
Alaura

Anonymous said...

HI RACHEL, YOU HAVE GREAT IDEAS. YOU REMIND ME OF MOTHER IN SO MANY WAYS. KEITH

Victoria Lynn said...

Rachel,
I love, love, love that pink mercury glass ornament! Don't you wish you a a couple of those pretties? Hope you're having a blessed week!
Love,
Victoria Lynn

savvycityfarmer said...

Haven't been here in a while, but been missn you.....
we have sisiter ornaments!