Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Novels or Not?

 A few weeks ago a friend and I was having a conversation about books.  I told her I couldn't remember the last time I read a novel, though I read voraciously.  It's not the genre to which I am drawn.
She said a well written novel can produce change in the reader.
Hhhmm.
I've thought about her comment a lot.
It seems that I have so many rough edges and areas that need improvement. 
I generally gravitate toward books for self-improvement.
It's most common that I have several books that I'm reading at the same time.
 
 
Well not AT THE SAME TIME...like all at once, but yeah, at the same time, or all mixed up at the same time. Or something like that.
You know what I mean right?
I skip from one book to the other and back again. 
I rarely sit and read a book straight through.
Generally I read on the go...in the car...at a traffic light...waiting on something...trying to restrain myself from reading the good ones as I drive!
YIKES!
...and at night...in bed...on the back porch...during a break
 
 
I'm curious?
Do you read a book straight through start to finish before you start another?
What is your favorite genre?
Do you sit and read straight through,
or on the go?

3 comments:

Salmagundi said...

Food for thought here about our reading habits. I read all of the time if I'm not sewing. And yes, I do read straight through -- even magazines, reading every word from start to finish -- one thing at a time! At this point, I enjoy inspirational novels, a lot of fluff, historical stuff, decorating books, and, of course, my daily bible reading. Hope you are enjoying a good book today!!! Sally

Phyllis @Around the House said...

I just read it straight through, then go on to the next...you get so enthralled with a good book it can just take you away, thanks for reminding me...Phyllis

Willow said...

Hmm I read a lot of self help books myself and usually have more than one going on at time. It has been a while since I read a novel I think my brain has been in busy mode. I do find when i read a good novel I don"t want to put i down and red it within a few days. The self help books are usually drawn out over time and I do tend to take them with me to places like Drs. offices or on vacation.