Monday, March 1, 2010

March First


Though the weather outside defies the date of the calendar, still time moves along. I took this photo in January and though our mounds of snow are beginning to melt and grass peek through here and there, still it looks VERY winter!

When I was a child I remember Mother and Daddy anxiously awaiting March 1st. They had a saying that goes something like this: "If March weather comes in like a lion (furiously stormy) then it will go out like a lamb (calm and peaceful). You will know Spring has truly arrived.
However if March weather comes in like a lamb, it will go out like a lion."
And so they would usually hope for a stormy March first. If the storms came at the end of the month then they knew we would have a stormy Spring.
Has anyone else heard that?
They grew up in Oklahoma and lived half of their lives there...don't know if that had anything to do with it or not!
Anyway, I'm super excited that it is March 1st.
I'm just happy to be living today!
"Liony" or "lamby"?
Enjoy it!
Rachel

8 comments:

Connie said...

I am soooooo ready for spring, sweetpea! Cute post today.
xoxo,
Connie

Rita said...

Yes, I have heard this saying all my life. I too am ready for Spring so I can get out and get the rest of my outside painting done on the house. I got part of it done last Fall, but have a ways to go yet.

Salmagundi said...

I grew up with that saying. My father was a farmer in Colorado, and always checked the weather on March 1st to see how the weather would proceed during the month. It is snowing today in Colorado - he would be pleased. We will plant peas on St. Pat's day, as usual. Sally

Becca's Dirt said...

I have heard that. Here March is coming in like a lamb.

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Yes, we grew up with that saying too. Last year on Mar 1 we had 18 inches of snow! Today here it is about 40 degrees and cloudy.

Cottage Rose said...

Hello Rachel; I have heard that saying too,,, ever since I was little,, and since it is coming in like a lion,, hopping it will bring in Spring soon...... most of the blogs I have been too are saying the same thing... how funny is that.. we are all thinking the same thing... pretty cool.. have a great week.

Hug;s
Alaura

Esther said...

It has been "lamby" here today. I have been wondering what the end of the month will be like! I will be watching!

Love you!
Esther

sanjeet said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.