Friday, November 16, 2012

What'sa Girl To Do? It's A Long Story!

And so there are the "blingy" fashion blogs and the shelter blogs.  The blogs who are full of DIY or spiritual insight.  I've read blogs that describe themselves as mommy blogs or garden blogs. There are the blogs who air their laundry, dirty or not.  Some write political blogs and photography blogs...cooking blogs...decor blogs...advertising blogs and on and on it goes...business blogs, word blogs, coupon blogs, sales blogs and craft blogs, blogs blogs blogs.  Name one.  It's there. 
 
It's such a beautiful thing, this thing called blogging.
 
Then there are the "Blog Rules".  Rules? Yes, rules.  Everyone knows you are supposed to follow the rules.  If only you follow the 10 steps to successful blogging you will soon have a plethora of follower's comments and  rising rock star status.  I'm not denying the importance of any of this. You've read it too:  always remember why you have a blog, oh yeah, and um have plenty of high quality photos (sorry) and keep your words to a minimum (sorry again...at least with this posting)  set an appointment with your blog because your audience depends on it, stay true to your original intent for having a blog, develop a network and community, build friendships ( with random strangers around the world) globally, make sure your blog is eye catching, advertise...or is it no don't advertise (just kidding...the blogging community is all over the map on this one) know your audience, say what THEY want to hear not what YOU want to say (oops again), make sure it's pretty, interesting, entertaining, informative and the list continues.
 
So what are you supposed to do as a blogger (like in...me, myself and I) when you are random and busy and just simply like to blog, because you...simply like to blog?  And you don't necessarily have anything interesting to say or a fabulous life experience to relate or anything necessarily insightful, spiritual, pretty or yummy to show and tell? 
 
OK here goes. 
 
Are you ready for this? 
 
I have a blog because my niece who has blogged since blog time began (or for like 10ish years literally) told me I "needed" a blog and set it up, and then emailed me and said here it is, now blog!  So I waited 3 months and figured out how to write a post and have NEVER published my first blog entry.  Nope, probably never will either.
 
Then I waited 3 more months and thought,  "Hey, a blog would be a great place to sell stuff."  So I started writing blog posts and attempting to build an online boutique with items similar to the ones I sell locally in our Historical Downtown.  And I did sell some "stuff".  In the meantime other work opportunities came along that were more practical than selling "stuff".  One opportunity led to the next and since I started posting on my blog back in January 2008 I've gotten busier than I could have ever imagined.  I haven't been selling "stuff"  through my blog so my original reason for starting to blog literally fell by the wayside. 
 
Across these five years, I have realized that I miss blogging when life is too busy to keep up with personal, family and business demands and certainly doesn't allow time for blogging.  
 
A gentleman in his 80's whom our family admires recently told me, "Rachel, I hope you are writing, writing your story, somewhere besides your blog."  His comment took me back.  Sometimes in the silence there are thoughts and emotions that cannot be expressed adequately until those feelings give birth to words.  The birthing of words, if there really is such a thing, can be painful and labor intensive.  For I believe once a word is spoken or written it becomes an action, it takes wing and flits thither and yon, sometimes never landing and certainly never to be retrieved.  Once it leaves you, it is gone.  In a frightening sort of way your thoughts have been exposed, no longer in the shield of your internal embrace.  Yet there is freedom in expression when the thought brings words of light and encouragement. 
 
In reality I don't fit the "rules" I suppose.  But what's new?  I was taught to think deep thoughts and feel deeply.  I was taught to do the "right" thing whether it fit the "rules" or not.  I guess I'm just saying I don't fit into the polished plan of 10 steps to successful blogging and all that.  And that is OK.
 
I've lived long enough to learn that every life has dark chapters. Sometimes there is no way to fix it or make it pretty, and I like talking to you, so when I can come out onto the porch long enough to chat and have a little visit, that's exactly what I like to do.  I like visiting with you and hearing what you have to say.  What you say matters to me.
 
On a side note, recently I was contacted by someone who wanted their wedding to be based on the theme "A Romantic Porch" as in THIS blog.  Really?  Yeah, really!  If this blog inspired them to have "A Romantic Porch"  themed wedding and hopefully a romantic life, well then, I'm all over that!  
 
I better go.  It's getting late.  It's a little chilly on the porch tonight and family duties are calling.
 
It's been great to chat.  Have a wonderful weekend. 
 
TTFN,
Rachel

6 comments:

Salmagundi said...

I always enjoy hearing what you have to say -- it always gets me to thinking about how I feel about the subject. Keep posting when you can.
Sally

Donnie said...

Another funny and deep thoughts to make me laugh as well as almost cry. Thank you for being you and sharing all you do. Happy Thanksgiving and hugs to you and your family. Donnie

Anonymous said...

I agree with your friend. You should be writing! Love you!

Karla Cook @ Roads to Everywhere said...

This niece still thinks you need to be blogging whenever you can. As you know, my blog is not blingy... or professional... or even very focused... but I believe it still has its place. Hope you have a chance to start posting again regularly now!

Love you!

Dori Overman said...

Love reading your blog...

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

It's so good to hear from you, it's been a long time! I didn't know you were blogging again. I have really slowed down with my posts as well. Was super busy with a house full of Christmas company!

Yes! You are a writer! You should write! I enjoy what you have to say. I've been browsing thru your posts trying to catch up! It's 1 a.m. here so I must go to bed!

Please add the email thingy so I can subscribe to your posts.

Katherine