Tuesday, August 24, 2010

And Now He Is Gone

Seasons come and go. Life flies past. The angle of the sun seems to be shifting as Autumn approaches.
We got a new next door neighbor this summer. He was so friendly. He would ride his riding lawn mower from house to house and cut the grass of his neighbors including us. It seemed to be therapeutic for him. He always had a big smile and a wave.
I thought I would bake some cookies for him to say thank you. But school was starting and we were in the midst of a few overwhelming projects. I could barely keep up with my family's needs and the demands of work, so I didn't take cookies to him...it could wait I thought.
We appreciated his gesture of kindness in mowing our lawn. Our sons did too!
Then Monday the 16th an ambulance came and took him away. Today he is gone. There will not be a chance to take him cookies. There are no other opportunities for a big smile and a happy wave.
And I'm sad. I don't like to miss opportunities. But how in the world do we ever do everything we wish we could do. There are SO MANY things that are priorities to me that I never have a chance to do. How does that happen? The demands of every day sometimes just pull us along. Time passes. Seasons come and go and opportunities are lost.
Each day I strive to use my time wisely, kindly, industriously and not wastefully, carefully, thoughtfully. I have this overwhelming sense that every moment matters. All I can do is my best...yes that is all I can do.
Good bye, Mr. Joe.
Rachel

10 comments:

Lucinda Obrien said...

What an important reminder to all of us! I am sure that each of us have all had those kind thoughts or gestures and not had time(or thought we did'nt have time) to act upon them.Thank you for reminding us to appreciate everything and everyone in our lives :)

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

Hi Rachel,
I'm so sorry to hear this sad news. It sounds as though Mr. Joe was a very kind neighbor and really good to all his neighbors around him. This is a wonderful reminder to us all, perhaps one last gift from Mr. Joe.
Much love, Tracie

Claudia said...

Oh, I am so sorry to hear this. And you are so right. This is a reminder to seize the moment and say thank you to those who are in our lives.

xo
Claudia

Esther said...

I am so sorry for your loss - and for the disappointment of not having been able to fulfill your wish of kindness to Mr. Joe ! As kind and thoughtful as he was, I'm sure he could feel your gratitude!

Love you, Esther

Attic Clutter said...

Oh Rachel..what a lovely memory ..your are a sweet neighbor..(:) hugs,Patty

Anonymous said...

How blessed you are to have known such an inspiring person!

Ronda said...

What a thought-provoking post, Rachel! I am sure that your sweet smile warmed Mr. Joe's heart and showed him your gratitude...

Unknown said...

OH, please don't be hard on yourself.
I know about loss and not getting to say do the things that want. We lost our son, Joshua when he was 16. He would be 23 now. We never got to tell him that we loved him. He had a brain injury and never came back to us all in a matter of 10 minutes.

I need to post more pictures of him on my blog but it is still so painful.

Enjoy your life..with your boys.
And I'm certain that Mr. Joe is in a much better place, maybe with my boy.
Come and visit me sometime.

Donna Lynn said...

OH Rachel...thanks for the reminder to grab every moment, especially with our loved ones. It sounds like that wonderful man will now be blessing us here even more, you did something wonderful, you posted this story!
XO

Anonymous said...

It is a reminder .. but remember he was so happy doing "his thing", which made you happy, and what a legacy he has left! Joe was one good guy!! He knew how much you appreciated it!

Pink Hugs,
Dee